Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Good Morning. My wife is 52. blood tests says she is not in

Good Morning. My wife is 52. blood tests says she is not in the menopause. Her problem has been on going for over a year now. She has been having continues period bleeding with intermittent period pain. Early days the Doctor and consultant prescribed pills to stop which then bloated her. Been to see a consultant and had an ultrasonic scan of the womb with no conclusive answers. their only suggestion was to fit the coil which my wife dose not want. last seen Sept approx. The bleeding is now continues every day.
My question is after listening to Sara Jarvis on the Jeremy vine show about brain tumours. There was one comment about womb tumours which cause continual bleeding and a swollen stomach as if she was pregnant. She has always been larger around the waist but this seems to me to be getting larger and does not seem to reduce if she tries to slim. Am I right to be worried. Also we are booked to go to Australia in 4 weeks for a 4 week stay. Many Thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

If she is having daily bleeding then this is not menopause.

Dr Uzair :

And if the ultrasound was inconclusive, a transvaginal ultrasound should be done or an MRI of the pelvis with contrast should be done to see what the problem is.

Dr Uzair :

Just fitting her with a coil without having a diagnosis is not recommended.

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond if you have any other queries or need further information.

Customer:

The query was that we are going top Australia in 4 weeks. do you think this will be a problem and if the small bit of info I have would you think that this is a tumor

Dr Uzair :

If she is bleeding on a daily basis then going out of the country is not recommended until the problem is resolved.

Dr Uzair :

It is really difficult to state over the internet whether a person has a tumor unless conclusive evidence is at hand, however, tumors are not so shy in their presentation, someone who has a tumor for 06 months would be experiencing significant weight loss, loss of appetite, bleeding per vagina, pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis, night sweats, evening fever etc.

Dr Uzair :

The presence of a tumor can only be confirmed on an MRI and a biopsy.

Dr Uzair :

Keeping the statistics in mind, about 7,400 women in the UK develop endometrial (uterine) cancer each year. Most cases develop in women aged in their 50s and 60s. And the most common presentation is abnormal vaginal bleeding.

Customer:

Evening fevere would this mean that she feels cold

Dr Uzair :

Yes. Having said that, these are constitutional symptoms and not specific to tumors.

Dr Uzair :

So, I would suggest that no conclusions be drawn about this as that will only cause anxiety and panic, instead a detailed evaluation should be done. You should ask her doctor to get an MRI of the pelvis done to rule out the presence of any tumors, an endoluminal (vaginal) ultrasound is also worth while, if an MRI can not be done.

Customer:

You have been most helpful and am not sure what I can do next as my wife dose not like hospitals. I will make an appointment and see our GP. Many Thanks

Dr Uzair :

The best course of action will be to be proactive about this and get this evaluated.

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure to be of service.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have further queries in the future.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.