Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

my son is 16yrs old, and i am finding that a smell which began

my son is 16yrs old, and i am finding that a smell which began some months back, which i am sure happens when he has been touching his penis. it could be the semen? it disappeared for a while, but i have recently been to his bedroom in the eve & the smell was horrendously worse - really worrying. i have 2 boys older than him, but never smelt anything like this. please advise - he obviously does not like to think there is any smell, which makes it difficult to speak to him. He showers every day. Could there be something seriously wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.
Well, A small amount of ammonia is secreted in semen. In some persons, this smell dominates and in some it does not. Yes, it could be smell of semen.
It may be part of an infection, could be hormone related as well. But without a basic blood work up and semen culture would be hard to pin point the exact cause.
Semen consists of mostly of protein, citric acid, fructose, sodium, chloride and smaller amounts of ammonia, ascorbic acid, acid phosphates, calcium, carbon dioxide, cholesterol, prostaglandins, creatine, and other minerals and other chemicals.
Eating less meat (and proteins) and more carbohydrates, vegetables and fresh fruits is said to improve the smell of semen. Dairy products create the foulest smelling fluids, alkaline based foods as meat and fish produce a butter, fish smell.
He should Wear loose cotton clothes.
Even avoid alcohol intake, foods such as eggs, legumes, certain meats, fish,Garlic, cumin and curry,onions,celery as well.
Also he should eat fibre rich diet .
He should Keep himself hydrated with plenty of fluids.
Usually it is not related with any serious issue.
He can follow above measures, and if such smell doesn't disappear in few weeks, then he should be clinically evaluated by doctor.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.