Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

my partner is an alcoholic.he knows how to come sober.a

Customer Question

Hi my partner is an alcoholic.he knows how to come sober.a few months ago he was admitted with what was a huge belly and with low blood pressure and passion was sent out with steroids and something elslse invasive.Alcoholic hepatitis was diagnosed . this time has in a job he's been sleeping twenty hrs a day and was gradually going yellow including whites of eyes.He has been in an acute ward and now to a gastro ward . he has a good brain and has a catheter and still has diahorea. Can they tell if he is going to have a biopsy or fluid taken off his abdomen or will it be more steroids and aggression?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Which tests he has got so far?

Dr. Hasan :

Like CT scan, ultrasound etc?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you there?

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry, since I am not getting any reply from your side, I am going to address your primary concern and later you can ask anything you want. Complete blood count, liver function tests, CT scan and ultrasound of liver are mandatory tests before diagnosing someone with alcoholic hepatitis. History of drinking does matter as well. If the diagnosis is not confirmed through above tests or if doctor has some doubt after treatment with steroids, yes he can go for liver biopsy.

Dr. Hasan :

Routinely liver biopsy is not required.

Dr. Hasan :

Since he has not responded to steroids, his doctor can consider getting further tests like CT scan, biopsy etc.

Dr. Hasan :

Draining fluid from abdomen is not for diagnostic purpose.

Dr. Hasan :

It can be done if fluid is causing trouble breathing or not reducing with medicines.

Dr. Hasan :

Since steroids have not worked and if the doctor think that he has given enough dosage, his next step can be a drug called pentoxyfylline.

Dr. Hasan :

It is used in trials and can be used in his case as well.

Dr. Hasan :

It is given to patients who have not responded to steroids.

Dr. Hasan :

If nothing works then liver transplant can be considered but most liver transplant centers don't perform it in alcoholic liver disease. However some do it after the patient meet certain criterion.

Dr. Hasan :

So to conclude, if above tests have been done and doctors have no doubt about diagnosis, their next step can be pentoxifylline (provided steroids have been given in enough dosage).

Dr. Hasan :

They might consider liver transplant in some cases like this.

Dr. Hasan :

I hope this addresses your concern.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon.

JACUSTOMER-mfneag8r- :

Range of blood tests fluid I chest is not infectious. Chest xray and scan of what booked he has a catheter liquids only. Very paranoid about interfererence.He is in an isolation ward and has frequent diahorrea which gets everywhere Would it be a good idea to drain the fluid off his stomach and do a liver biopsy he wasn't yellowlsat time something similar happened but was given steroids which made him aggressive .any suggestions and how I'll is he?IAm here the steroids did build his muscle tone but did not acknowledge how aggressive he was. What will make the yellow go?

Dr. Hasan :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you for your input. The yellow is due to high liver enzymes and it will persist till the liver problem gets settled.

Dr. Hasan : Yes they can drain the fluid if they feel like.
Dr. Hasan : But liver biopsy is only required if they have doubt in their diagnosis. If they think that they have diagnosed his disease correctly then liver biopsy is not required.
Dr. Hasan : No response to steroids and rather worsening can make them think about their diagnosis and they may consider biopsy but his doctor can give his verdict about this. Aggression with steroids doesn't always mean that diagnosis was wrong because there are patients who don't respond to steroids and in their case next step can be pentoxifylline.
Dr. Hasan : I hope this helps you. Any question that you Want to ask, please feel free.
Dr. Hasan : I hope you have read my above answers as well.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is he infectious with both the hepatitis and diahorrea?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your input. No he is not infectious because he doesn't have associated hepatitis B or C virus. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why is he still so yellow and bloated?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again for your input. The bloatment is due to fluid in abdomen he is yellow because of high liver enzymes. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can this affect his mind?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can his mind be affected?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can all this affect his perception and memory?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Yes it surely can. This is called hepatic encephalopathy and is a bad sign. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why is their fluid in his abdomen. It was such a shock las April on his birthday and tried to put on an appearance as her wedding- ten mins.He has one suit the shirts get bigger but the suit fits no matter how heavy. First he put the trousers on and found they didn't meet We both pulled and some how we got them on. He tried to put on a good face but when he went to buy two fruit juices I saw the suit was hanging off him at the back. He wasn't drinkinking and yet this started nearly a year ago at least.I was shocked and it must have started pretty quickly after his small drink 3 years ago .He was on and off from thereon rarely taking anything the large quantity he drank when he was younger. I read somewhere once that igets worse on less because the tolerance was going I recognised it so did people in as but he knew best. Does the liver lose its intolerance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was so embarrassing when not drinking but weak and he decided to put in an appearance -ten mins. He went and got two fruit juices at the bar and looking at big bloke with the suit hanging off him at the back. I've heard it said that your liver intolerance goes and I believe his had when he took that tiny drink 3 years ago?Can tolerance to increasingly smaller drinks is it because the liver has had enough?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does the liver cope with increasingly small amounts of alcohol. He has one suit and although he's been bigger he got a shock and asked for my help to pull his trousers together. He hasn't drank for a few days as when he orderered two fruit juices I could see how his jacket was hanging off him at the back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can someone's liver intolerance decrease.as long ago as last April he asked for help to put the catch on his trousers We managed it. He only wanted to show his face.he hadn't had a drink for about 2 weeks so went and got 2fruit juices and from the back his suit was hanging so loose this strong fit man was now already getting weak.Is this a sign that the liver has had enough.The huge belly week ness and no muscle. Only two years before Lways sturdy could cerry a full sized motor bike engine over a fence to make sure display stasred on time. It took two strong men to struggle the 5 metres while he got in the queue to get in .was the enournous belly sleeping round the clock an early sign of intolerance regards ***** ***** but tired?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can someone's liver intolerance decrease.as long ago as last April he asked for help to put the catch on his trousers We managed it. He only wanted to show his face.he hadn't had a drink for about 2 weeks so went and got 2fruit juices and from the back his suit was hanging so loose this strong fit man was now already getting weak.Is this a sign that the liver has had enough.The hug,,,,,e belly week ness and no muscle. Only two years before Lways sturdy could cerry a full sized motor bike engine over a fence to make sure display stasred on time. It took two strong men to struggle the 5 metres while he got in the queue to get in .was the enournous belly sleeping round the clock an early sign of intolerance regards ***** ***** but tired?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can early sighns of liver intolerance yet tired all the time be a sign of liver intolerance?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
I will try to address all your concerns separately.
1. Fluid retention is because of liver not functioning properly.
2. Yes once involved the liver looses its tolerance.
3. We call it liver failure rather than liver intolerance.
Provide me with his ultrasound and CT report and I can guide you better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

S

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, how can I help you? Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
I am not getting your complete reply.