Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

i have had a sore throat and hoarse voice on and off since

i have had a sore throat and hoarse voice on and off since august 14. i was referred to an 3nt specialist who eventually diagnosed me with gerd and a very dry throat. he put me on omeprazole and it seemed like it was working as my symptoms seemed to decrease quite quickly, however, i have been coughing alot when i lay down recently and , although swallowing hasnt been painfull or difficult im very aware of worrying when i swallow that i seem to be overthinking the process. the ent doctor looked down my throat with those flexible light , camera things and ruled out throat cancer and i was very relieved and feel like i was just starting to get over all these months of worry and get on with life when by chance today i noticed a fairly small lump on one side of my neck. it moves around when i press on it and there isnt one on the other side of my neck. now im so worried it is thyroid cancer and that is why the sore throat seems to have come back a little bit. im 33 and female. the ent doctor checked my neck in january but not since i found this lump. would the hoarseness be constant if i had thyroid cancer? and what are the charactoristics of cancerous lumps in the neck? i had blood tests and a chest xray done recently and they all were normal. but please give me your professional opinion as its worrying me so much. many thanks. Cara.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

I am an assistant professor of ENT and can guide you.

Dr. Hasan :

would the hoarseness be constant if i had thyroid cancer?

Dr. Hasan :

Absolutely yes that is the catch point.

Dr. Hasan :

Hoarseness due to cancer never goes away with any treatment.

Dr. Hasan :

what are the characteristics of cancerous lumps in the neck?

Dr. Hasan :

1. They are painless.

Dr. Hasan :

2. They don't decrease in size without cancer treatment.

Dr. Hasan :

3. There are certain characteristics that are seen on CT scan like they are more than one cm in size.

Dr. Hasan :

Lastly if we think about cancer affecting vocal cords, neck nodes are almost always absent.

Dr. Hasan :

Thyroid cancer giving rise to hoarseness are big swellings that are readily picked.

Dr. Hasan :

You just had a normal exam in Jan and that makes thyroid cancer least likely or I must say, impossible.

Customer:

would the ent doctor have felt it if it was there without me telling him i had found a lump?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes they are easily felt by ENT.

Dr. Hasan :

They are trained to pick them in routine.

Customer:

and a cancerous lump would not have grown that much in 1 month?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes they are not so much fast growing.

Customer:

i have had a cold and cough for about a week could the lump be connected to that?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes colds are associated with viral infections and viral infections are quite commonly associated with such lumps.

Customer:

are cancerous lumps moveable under the skin?

Dr. Hasan :

yes they are.

Dr. Hasan :

but all lumps are movable when they develop

Customer:

should i make a doctors appointment to be on the safe side or are you confident it isnt something serious?

Dr. Hasan :

I am confident that this is not serious but yes get it checked whenever convenient.

Dr. Hasan :

At least observe it for 7 days.

Customer:

thank you for your help.

Dr. Hasan :

There is no urgency I assure you

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes and prayers will follow you.

Dr. Hasan :

I reassure you again that cancer is quite unlikely so don't stress yourself.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

thanks so much.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery