Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am 74 years old. last 17 hours I have been feeling

Customer Question

I am 74 years old. For the last 17 hours I have been feeling unwell, unable to eat, cannot even keep down water. I have vomited 6 or 7 times, and the last time it was dark brown in colour. Yesterday I felt OK in the morning, ate 2 chocolate biscuits and a tub of yoghourt for breakfast, and had a packet of vegetable cup soup and a wholemeal roll and butter for lunch. Did not eat again but tried drinking water and tea, but could not keep it down.
I have a constant pain around the body, fairly high up. I weigh approximately 12 stone and am 5 ft 4 inches tall. I don't have diorrhoea yet.
Have just vomited again and it was even darker brown.
I am the sole care for my husband who has Alzheimers.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to these episodes of vomiting. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Brown vomit is usually most often caused by having eaten brown food, but it can also be a sign of bile in the regurgitated stomach contents.
As you said that yesterday you had ate 2 chocolate biscuits and a tub of yoghurt for breakfast,this can be the cause of brown vomitus.
Another probability can be of gastrointestinal bleeding. Blood in vomit may be bright red, or it may appear black or dark brown like coffee grounds.
There are many different causes of throwing up blood, but one of the most common ones is an inflammation or irritation of the stomach lining/stomach.
There is nothing serious about it.
As you are feeling unwell, unable to eat since last 17 hours and vomited 6 or 7 times,Don’t take solid diet.Let your stomach rest for few hours.Try clear liquids such as flat ginger ale or white soda, broths, popsicles, or apple juice. These will provide an oral source of fluids that are easily absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract.
Gastroenteritis/food poisoning seems to be the most probable cause of your vomiting.This may last from several hours to several days and a prescription medication may be required.
Wait & watch your symptoms for the next 2-3 days.
Usually & generally the symptoms from stomach flu/Gastroenteritis/food poisoning get subside by this time.
If after this time your symptoms persists or if now also you are unable to keep liquids as described above,then you need to go to ER as shots may be required accordingly.
Till then take tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in stopping vomiting and is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much, I am usually quite healthy and have never had this sort of thing before.

The band of pain around the whole body including the back is nasty. I am worried it might be something to do with the pancreas or gall bladder, What is your opinion?

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
Its good to know that you are quite healthy and have never had this sort of thing before but it can happen any time especially if you have recent history of eating out.
The pain in body can occur as you have 6-7 episodes of vomiting.
There does not seem to be anything serious or dangerous here.
No,I do not think that these symptoms are because of any disease of pancreas or gall bladder or any other internal organ.
To get relief from this pain,take tab.Acetaminophen from your counter.It is also available as OTC without prescription & has no interaction with meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine) as described above.
So my best advise for you is to wait & watch your symptoms for the next couple of hours.
Hopefully & most likely the symptoms will go away.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. It is reassuring.

I am taking my husband on holiday to Turkey for quite a strenuous trip involving seeing the ancient sites such as Troy. Will I be better by then?

Any advice about eating over there. please? We are going on 3 March and returning on 12 March.

Thanks again.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for replying back.

Woh! its nice that you are taking your husband on holiday to Turkey. Usually & in my experience the symptoms usually get subside within 24-48 hours of onset of symptoms. Do not eat too much spicy & chilly food.Avoid unhygienic foods & drinks.

Once your symptoms are gone,first start with low fibre foods like cooked cereals, plain rice.Avoid high-fiber foods isuch as beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.

Dont take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.Avoid those things that irritate your stomach or cause your symptoms to flare up.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately Dr Robert you were wrong and I am about to leave for hospital as the doctors suspect I have a stomach ulcer or worse. I will get a lot of tests and may have to stay several days in hospital.

So although you gave lovely advice it was incorrect and I do not want to pay for your service. Could you kindly reimburse the money onto my bank card?

Sorry to do this. The clue was the brown colour, which is blood.

Thank you. Annette

Dear,
I understand your concern.
Yes, you would need further tests to make a precise diagnose. Once tests are done, accordingly right line of treatment would be advised.
You can contact justanswer customer service and discuss with them, about refunds.
Good luck and take care.