Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am wondering if you can help me please. 3 years ago I was

Customer Question

I am wondering if you can help me please.
3 years ago I was scuba diving and we went particularly deep. I felt like my whole body was being crushed. Since then all my veins have decreased in size to the size of guitar strings. My muscles have either collapsed or have been rock solid.
Do you know the condition for this or who I should consult?
Many thanks,
Mark.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Can you tell me what tests or studies you've had for this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've had about a million blood tests. I'm on blood thinning tablets and I'm a heavy smoker. I've consulted 7 different doctors on 12 separate occasions. Either they do not believe me or is beyond they knowledge.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly is it they don't believe Mark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm being kind. They haven't got a clue but rather than admitting that, or consulting an someone with more knowledge they just tell me to consult my GP. He actually said to my he doesn't know what expert to refer me to, so goodbye.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well can you tell me more specifically about the vein and muscle problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My muscles are either solid or collapsed. My veins have collapsed and have twisted together in places sometimes around muscles, or formed lumps where they cross. I've managed to massage some of my muscles back to a flaccid state. Some of the clusters of veins I've managed to restore to normal by massaging them.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Have you been screened for autoimmune disorders and for heavy metal (lead and mercury) toxicity? What about vitamin D deficiency?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it's physical. I was hospitalised for a month last year. They took blood regularly and if it were that simple I think they would have foumg any vitamin deficiency.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Vitamin D deficiency was only one thing in my list Mark--what about the other tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problems is I was crushed at 3 to 5 bar and all the blood was squeezed from my veins and hasn't restored.

If you have a hose pipe with a pump in a circuit and you bend the pipe at 90 degrees. The pipe after the bend will collapse (the veins) the pipe before the bend will remain inflated (the arteries).

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Mark but can you tell me if you've had the autoimmune and heavy metal screenings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was in hospital for suspected encephalitis although they couldn't be sure of a prognosis. For that reason I guess they tested everything. The neurologist's final report suggested I had a circulation problem (you don't say, I have been for the last 3 years). Please understand my frustration.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I do understand Mark but if nothing has been tested for that long my suggestion would be that you see a rheumatologist for the tests I mentioned. This sounds very much like an autoimmune problem like polymyalgia rheumatica but I can't fully rule out the heavy metal toxicity situation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Who would order the test where something is injected into your blood and book you into a scanner to see the state of your veins and arteries and maybe order a stenth be deployed?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That would be a vascular surgeon specialist Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Mark--any time