Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

, I asked a question last week about my blood test results

Hi, I asked a question last week about my blood test results (Serum TSH < 0.05 and serum Free T4 23.0pmol ).
I have now been referred to an endocrinoline st and have an appointment next week. I have had another blood test result today - ANA positive 1:400 speckled and homogeneous. Is this relevant to my thyroid and what could it mean?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I don't see any reason to order that test
that is a screening test for lupus and other autoimmune joint diseases but it has nothing to do with graves
in fact, that test just confuses the picture now because we don't know what to do with it
many normal people (no illness at all) have positive ANA tests so I find it to be of little significance here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was ordered initially as part of a screen for autoimmune issues as my doctor felt there was something going on. It just took longer to come back than the other tests! Let's hope it is irrelevant - or maybe is just indicative of autoimmune issues which I know I have as I am coeliac. I presume you would feel thyroid was the most important thing to investigate further?

Yes, investigate the thyroid
at this point, the ANA seems just as you said. a marker for autoimmune
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)