DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've had a sticky right eye -4 weeks and it has been difficult

I've had a sticky right eye for 3-4 weeks and it has been difficult to wear contact lenses, it's slightly red and has white/yellow sticky stuff in the corner. I was diagnosed with shingles yesterday with a rash round my back and chest. Are the 2 connected? I've been given a course of acyclovir. I'm hoping they are connected.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Have this examined right away.
This should not be connected to shingles in another location, but on the rare chance you have shingles starting in the eye, you would be in trouble.
It sounds like a more simple conjunctivitis, which often is viral, but sometimes is bacterial.
Go get examined today.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** examined by an optician on Sunday and he was happy, I didn't know I'd got shingles then though, I just thought I was a bit low.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It should not be shingles in the eye.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So is the viral / shingles infection related to conjunctivitis? When the shingles clears up should the eye also?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No
The shingles should not be related to the eye.
As I said above.
If it was, you would be in danger of going blind.