Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am 34 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago, in

Customer Question

I am 34 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago, in the absence of any other definitive diagnosis, despite the presence of mildly elevated ESR (24) and CRP (16) which was a concern to the GP and rheumatologist for a while. I have noticed an increase in neurological symptoms over the past 12-18 months, including neuropathic-type pain in my feet; carpal tunnel pain; severe, unremitting spasms in my calf muscles, which can take several hours to fully resolve; loss of sensitivity in my fingers; poor co-ordination when walking; tingling sensations in my scalp and face; urinary retention; muscle tics in my arms, face, hands, legs, and feet; and gradual retraction of my toes (outside of my control) when sitting.
I am aware that fibromyalgia has a neurological element, and that there is a significant overlap with the symptoms of MS, but in the absence of neurological damage. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile asking my GP for a referral to a neurologist, or if I would be wasting everyone's time and NHS funds in doing so?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

I think it is worthwhile to ask your GP for a referral since not all your symptoms can be accounted for by Fibromyalgia.

JACUSTOMER-lygbwts2- :

It probably sounds silly, but I tend to try to convince myself that I'm fine, because I want to get on with things!

JACUSTOMER-lygbwts2- :

I work full-time, and have no intention of jacking that it at 34!

Dr Uzair :

That is a very good approach, and being proactive about one's health is also the right thing to do.

Dr Uzair :

So, don't concern yourself that there is something serious going on, but an evaluation never hurt anyone.

JACUSTOMER-lygbwts2- :

So, if I mention all of my symptoms to him, he won't think that I'm time-wasting?

Dr Uzair :

The Neurologist will not waste any funds on extensive testing if your clinical signs do not dictate it.

Dr Uzair :

So, leave that responsibility for the Doctor.

Dr Uzair :

It will be unprofessional of him/her if s/he does this.

Dr Uzair :

Unprofessional and unethical.

JACUSTOMER-lygbwts2- :

Brilliant - that's all I needed to know. My GP is generally lovely, so I don't want to waste his time!

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

JACUSTOMER-lygbwts2- :

Thanks for your help - enjoy the rest of your day.

Dr Uzair :

Pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

.Best wishes

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.