DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I wonder if you could help me. Today I went to the Pet superstore

Customer Question

I wonder if you could help me. Today I went to the Pet superstore and bought some items, and a young man served me, when I got home I took the items out of the bag and there was a staple pin sticking out of a package, I ripped my hand on it and it bleed, I did not wash it straight away as I was unpacking the shopping and carried on doing things, I am now worried that if the young guy who served me did the same and cut himself could I be infected from HIV in this way.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Thomas, MD :

hello

Customer : Hello Doctor did you get my question?
Dr. Thomas, MD :

Yes.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

You would not be infected

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Not at all

Customer : Was it the question about the pet superstore and being infected by HIV from a staple?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no way you would be infected with HIV from the staple.
NO way in any way.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also could I ask your opinion. I have had Breast Cancer and have had Chemotherapy ,Radio and Herceptin. I am now on Letrozole. Last year whilst on holiday I slipped and fell broke my wrist and ankle and possibly my ribs. I was put on Calcium and Vit D, but they are saying they may put me on a bone protection drug as it was a low impact fall and I am on Letrozole. Do you think this would be beneficial ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If you have osteoporosis in any form, then yes, the drug will be beneficial.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Osteopenia, and my mother has osteoporosis.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Then the drugs would be beneficial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also today I dropped my toothbrush into the sink and cleaned my teeth afterward, without noticing there was blood in the sink, today is Thursday and on Tuesday we had builders in, if it was their blood could I be put at risk from HIV. Can it be transferred this way?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No it can not.
You need treatment for this anxiety. These are completely unreal worries.
Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or from a bar of soap, if there was blood on it. I now I have OCD and I am on medication, but things have got worse since I was diagnosed with Cancer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I can imagine.
No not from a bar of soap, even if there were blood on it.
Only from sex, or sharing needles.
Please click a positive rating, then come back if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Doctor Thankyou for patience with me, I am still worried about HIV and I think my OCD is winning at the moment!
Yesterday I bumped my head on a sharp corner of bathroom cabinet, I noticed there was dried blood on it, now my daughter had a nosebleed and it could be that which of course I am not worried about, but if it was the builders the other day could I catch HIV?
Also I give my daughters friends lifts in my car everywhere, and some of them have SDIs (gonnarrea) can you catch this other than having sex?
I realise I have to get a grip on this anxiety, and I am not to seek reassurance all the time, but it is difficult knowing a real concern from an OCD worry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also worry that I regularly scatch myself on thorns when I walk the dog, this is a place where many people walk, if they have scratched themselves before me, can I catch HIV
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No you can not catch HIV.
You need to get the OCD treated effectively.
It is not.