Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My brother has told me he has liver damage and a liver gamma

Customer Question

My brother has told me he has liver damage and a liver gamma of 303... he is a recovering alcoholic but in a depressed victimized state/... he keeps telling me this means he has only 2 years to live... is this liver gamma 303 reversible? could he live a long life with that level?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
An elevated level of gamma GT does not at all mean that this is not reversible.
I personally think it is very reversible but for that he needs to stop drinking completely.
The thing that goes against reversibility is the function of the liver rather than these enzyme levels.
The function of the liver is suggested by the level of albumin in the blood which is a kind of protein made by the liver.
If the albumin is normal then that is a good sign.
The liver also makes clotting factors as well, so there is another test to check whether the blood is too thin or not and that test is called as PT (prothrombin time). If the prothromin time is raised then that means that the liver is not making enough clotting factors which is also not a good sign but if the the PT is normal then that is also a good sign.
Additionally an ultrasound of the liver can also give us valuable information.
If the liver is coarse in texture on the ultrasound that means that the liver damage may be irreversible but if the liver texture is normal on an ultrasound then that would would again indicate a good liver.
Finally a liver biopsy is the gold standard. With a liver biopsy we can see the liver cells under the microscope. This will tell us everything.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards