Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I've had a chest infection cough and really bad cold

I've had a chest infection nasty cough and really bad cold with headaches since the 28th December. When it first started I was shivering and burning Up at the same time. I've had 2 lots of antibiotics but I'm no better. I don't want to go back on them as they didn't work and didn't touch any of the symptoms. The headaches are right behind my eyes and the only thing that will make them go away is migraine tablets I don't usually ever get headaches but have had them on and off since I've been ill. I've tried immune medicine. Vitamin c /b tanlets. Iron tablets everything I have read up in that's supposed to help but I'm getting no better
Please help
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this headache & other symptoms. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms you are having of having headache right behind the eyes is most probably because of sinus headache.
As you had a chest infection,nasty cough and bad cold with headaches since the end of December sinusitis & hence the sinus headache can be the most probable cause.
It usually occurs after a cold due to bacteria and viruses infecting the lining of the sinuses.You need physical examination by your ENT doctor.Transillumination (shining a light through the sinuses) is used to look for sinus inflammation.
Another possibility can be of migraine.It is a form of vascular headache and is by high stress periods,hormonal changes,irregular sleep,food habits,bad lifestyles etc.
Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.Neti pot will help you greatly .It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away crusting in the nasal passages.
Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
If still after this the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your ENT doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Usually & most likely the above described treatment will provide great relief.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert