Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 72 year old Finish woman ,who has been living in England

I am 72 year old Finish woman ,who has been living in England for 47 yeas . When I was 15 I suddenly seemed to have lost my identity and became totally detached from the "normal" life. When I was 18 I wrote to a famous Finnish psychiatrist ,who wrote to me "that I was urgent need of help". Unfortunately I never dared to tell anybody about my problems and relied on alcohol ,traqualizers and sleeping tablets (the medication wasprescribed by my GP). Now I would like to know if its too late to receive help from a psychiatrist?? Ulla,DOVER KENT ENGLAND
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi and sorry for the delay. Can you please tell me what exactly your problem is now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well I have been existing now for 55 years in terrific panic attacks. my memory ii very nebulous .my family tells me about my childhood and youth ,but I very often can't remember any of it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Ulla, and we can continue after this if you'd like. No, it isn't at all too late for you to see a psychiatrist. It sounds as though you may need both psychoanalytic therapy sessions and perhaps medication for this. Given time and the proper therapy, you can get over this