Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have terrible stabbing pains in the soles of both feet, and

I have terrible stabbing pains in the soles of both feet, and around my ankles, making it difficult/impossible to walk or just put weight on them standing up. Pain killers Ibbuferon 400 have no effect. This is the first time I have experienced anything like this.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide any further information.
How long has this pain been bothering you?
Is there anything that you have found that makes the pain worse other than the walking or weight bearing?
Is it tender to press on the soles of the feet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For 1 week this has been going on, getting progressively worse (though mid week it did ease considerably for 1 day, but the pain returned worse than ever the following day).

Sitting or lying down is obviously better, but I am still conscious of a degree of discomfort i.e a burning sensation in the affected area.

It is not tender to press the soles of my feet.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

The most common cause of pain in the sole of the feet that has been a problem for the last week is an inflammatory problem, either a tendinitis or a fasciitis. It is also possible that have a stress fracture, but it would be unusual for pain in both feet to be due to a stress fracture. Pain in the sole of the feet can also be related to nerve dysfunction, but this will usually be a chronic pain, rather than pain for a week.

The ibuprofen and Voltarol are reasonable first choices to use for an inflammatory condition. However, if the oral anti-inflammatory medicine is not effective, there are several options to consider. It may help to apply ice or moist heat, which can help a variety of different inflammatory conditions. It also may help to wear an orthotic that relieves stress on the soles of the feet. There are several different orthotic that can be used, but I have had the greatest success using heel cups (I personally have had problems with fasciitis that did not respond to anti-inflammatory medicine that has completely resolved with the use of heel cups).

If these interventions are not sufficient, then there are some other interventions that can be done by your doctor, such as local injections of steroid medicines. Therefore, if the pain persists, it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.