Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Dear Doctor I am worried about HIV. I hit my head on the bathroom

Customer Question

Dear Doctor I am worried about HIV. I hit my head on the bathroom cabinet, and I am worried because there blood on it, now it could be from my daughter as she had a nosebleed and I am not worried about that, but it could have been from the builders we had the other day, am I at risk? Also I took my dog for a walk where there are loads of other people and scratched myself on a thorn, now if someone else did that just before me an there was blood am I at risk?
My daughters friends as an SDI (Gonarrea) sorry can't spell it! Is my daughter at risk by sitting in the same seat of our car where her friend sat or any other way?
Also I want to beat this OCD, what do you suggest I do ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this but let me assure you that you can't contract HIV from hitting your head on the bathroom cabinet, even if there were blood from an HIV infected person on it. You also can't contract the virus from a thorn scratch, even if by some very very small chance there was blood on the thorn. And one doesn't contract gonorrhea from car seats or toilet seats--only from sex. As for your OCD, I suggest a therapist--a clinical psychologist--skilled in cognitive behavioral therapy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Doctor, I will try and get over this OCD. I am worried about everything at the moment. I am worried now that I have caught HIV through touching the bathroom cabinet where there was blood and then rubbed my eye, I hope I am not at risk from this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, you're at no risk by touching the cabinet and rubbing your eye. Please do get some therapy and remember to rate my service to you Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about pins? My son buys second hand items and they contain Pins which are sharp and when cleaning his bedroom I prick myself on them can I catch HIV from this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, you can't get it that way either Jane. I have to be off so please give my service a rating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry Dr but I can't seem to get out of this! I am worried that after touching the cabinet with blood that I may have gone to the toilet and wiped myself or rubbed my eyes and have now contracted HIV. I will sign off now and hope you can reassure me one last ttime and Thankyou for your support .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There is absolutely no way to contract HIV like that Jane--please get the proper treatment just as soon as you can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Doctor there is no Cognitive Therapy in my area, as there have been cuts to the NHS. I did have Cognitive Therapy years ago and have started to apply that now to my everyday life. As you Cognitive Therapy is facing the fear, and living with the uncomfortable feeling until the worry subsides, well today I have done this. When I took my dog for a walk, there was blood on the pavement ( which panic me) then when I got home he jumped up at me and scratched me on the head as I was taking my shoes off, well I keep telling myself that I cannot contract HIV like this, is this true or have I put myself in danger? Should I carry on facing the fear and tell myself I can only get HIV through unprotected sex and sharing needles?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

No Jane--no danger there. Yes--keep telling yourself that your fears make no sense. Glad you came back because I have a link for you to look at

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/12/376438311/why-ocd-is-miserable-a-science-reporters-obsession-with-contracting-hiv

We really need to close this particular page with a rating Jane

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Doctor
Today I am trying my Cognitive Therapy and I am worried because I was cleaning up and cut my hand on a piece of Broken glass and if my cleaner had cut her hand before me though she has not been here today, could I get HIV, or should I just carry on and not worry. Also I am worried now that I may have dropped tablets out of my bag, though I am not sure I had them still in the bag, I may have taken them out. Now my mind tells me to inform everywhere I have been but my specialist would say stay with the fear of it, which is what I am doing and it feels uncomfortable but she says that's the way to conquer OCD, but I am worried because lost tablets could be dangerous, but she says that I just have to take a jump of faith and I may not have had them in my bag. I have to stay with the fear.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still nothing to worry about with all that but it's not just staying with the fear Jane--it's writing down the thoughts and then writing down arguments against the logic of the fearful thoughts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes your right, I was scratched by our cat today, and I have somebody who helps me clean since my Breast Cancer, I suddenly panicked, suppose my cat had scratched her then me, could I get HIV this way, but I believe it cannot be transmitted this way?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No it can't be transmitted like that Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will learn to live with that Dr. I am also worried that whilst walking my dog, somebody had thrown a Tampon on the floor and my dog picked it up and spat it out, he is a puppy and nibbles me, I also have scratches on my hands, could HIV be transmitted from this in any way? Or do I carry on living with this fear.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, you can't get HIV like that Jane and rather than just living with the fear, get some CBT therapy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have asked CBT therapy but it is not available in my area where I live, so they tell me how to treat myself! But it is very difficult as you can imagine, for example the other day a letter came and there was a red mark on it and immediately I thought blood, so I looked at my hands and I had cuts on them so I thought I am infected with HIV and panic set in, I lived with the panic and it subsided slightly and I am learning to live with the fact that I could be infected, but I don't thinks I could be infected like this could I ? I will try now to not ask for any reassurance, which will be hard. I have to tell myself that I cannot catch HIV in the way I fear, so by touching an envelope with blood on it and cuts on my hand is not possible transmission and I can only be infected through unprotected sex and sharing needles. I hope you agree with me. Thankyou for your time and support Dr I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'm here any time you need me Jane. At least write down every fear you ever have and then write down logical arguments against each fear. And even if there's not specifically CBT where you are, any clinical psychologist can help you with this problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Doctor I will do that, I am still very worried about the tampon incident, where my dog picked up a discarded tampon and he caught my hand and made it bleed I don't know how long inbetween picking up the tampon and making my hand bleed, should I get tested? Or is this just another OCD fear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You don't need testing Jane--you didn't get HIV that way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not even if the dog licked my hand, and I used the same hand to scratch inside my nose, and my nose bleed?
Sorry Dr I will try and not ask you any more questions.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem with any questions you have Jane but, no, not even then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Doctor
I have just been shopping and went to a Haberdasery and while I was looking there was a hatpin for sale which had no safety catch and I pricked my finger on it and my finger bleed, if someone had pricked their finger before me, could I catch HIV in this way?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, even that way you can't get HIV Jane but if you need to ask me more questions we need to open a fresh page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about blood on an envelope I don't know whether it was dry or not. Please let me know how I open a new page?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Use this link and we'll continue the conversation Jane

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-doctorchip

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or touching my dogs nose after he has smelt a used condom in the street and then rubbing my eyes. Can I catch HIV this way.? I have to try and get a grip on myself sorry Doctor for wasting your time.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not a waste of time but we really need a new page for this Jane. But dogs don't get HIV and they can't pass it to humans
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about cat scratches, if they scratch someone else then they scratch me. Can the HIV be spread like this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No Jane, you can't get HIV from cat scratches even if they've scratched someone else with HIV

But if we're going to continue on this page I need another rating here please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or from pricking myself on a safety pin, if someone else pricked themselves before me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not even then Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Chip as you have noticed I am trying less and less to ask you for reassurance, but sometimes I get stuck on a worry! This morning I licked the foil top of the yogurt pot and cut my tongue, when I bought the yogurt in the shop this morning the lady at the shop had to bend back the foil to see the barcode, if she cut herself whilst doing this, am I at risk from HIV? Or should I just forget it. I suppose that applies to any part of the body.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just forget it Jane--again no way to get HIV like that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So even when I have just been gardening and a thorny bush scratched my head and arm and the builders and gardeners I have had in my garden, if they scratched themselves before me, still no risk of HIV, I must just forget and carry on?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We've actually discussed that particular scenario before. No you can't get HIV that way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Dr Chip but I am very forgetful. Also I found a mascara in my car and I used it, but my daughter said it was not hers but her friends, is this a risk to HIV. Also my son had a blooded tshirt from a nightclub where there was a fight, he wore the tshirt in the car and it touched the seatbelt, I also touched the seatbelt and poked my eyes is this HIV risk?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No you can't get HIV from mascara and we already discussed the seatbelt scenario and you can't get HIV that way either. If we're going to continue on this particular page you need to rate me again Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even if my daughters friends have had STDi infection, would me using their mascara infect me with HIV or STDI ? I will rate you and try not to ask you anything else sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's OK--not even if her friends had HIV you can't get it the mascara route
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Chip sorry to bother you but I have been trying all day to cope with my OCD and have done ok, but tonight while putting the garbish out I drop some and pick it up, and it fell where there had been blood a few days ago which could be human or animal, well I just carried on and I then went to use the bathroom and wiped myself without washing my hands first and I am now panicking I could have got blood on my hands from picking the garnish up, and then I wiped my private parts could this be a risk of HIV? I am trying so hard to conquer this!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No risk for HIV at all from that scenario Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr I have had all sorts of things happen to me today and I have just carried on and coped with the OCD, it seems to get worse at night, like I have a cut on my hand and I used a towel to dry my hands including the cut on my hand, if one of the builders or some other worker dried there hands on the towel and also had a cut and blood got on the towel, it that a HIV risk?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Jane, even though you rated me again I didn't get any compensation for that. so before we go any further on this page you'll need to accept my offer more time offer first