DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 19 year old male. I've been struggling past

I am a 19 year old male. I've been struggling for the past week or so with severe stomach bloating. I have been diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago but I have never had this symptom of bloating and definitely not last as long as it does. It seems to be less noticeable when I'm seated, but when I'm up and about it feels as though I'm going to burst! Been to the doctors twice about this now and have tried Mebeverine and Lansoprazole which have both had no effect.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This symptom is also typical of ibs
Please tell me your diet, meal to meal, what you eat at each, typical day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been able to decipher the foods that cause my ibs to flare up, and the foods I typically eat are obviously to avoid this.

My normal meals would involve a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast, cheese sandwich for lunch and dinner is usually a meal which could be anything really, I eat chicken and fish often but nothing that I'm aware of that could affect my IBS. As for drinks, I drink mainly tea and water, and I do have a maximum of 2 coke life drinks, which are the ones with no artificial sweeteners or caffeine.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
You IBS will not get better on this diet, rather it will progress.
You need a bowel stabilizing diet. It starts all cooked.
The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt
The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there anything else that could be causing the bloating? The occasional pains I get in my stomach are pretty sharp and incredibly uncomfortable.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Not based on your history or your doctors findings.
It is most certainly diet and IBS.
You can try simethacone over the counter, but talk with your doctor.
Certain parasites can cause bloating...very unlikely, but this can be ruled out with stool samples for the lab.
OK, so that is an initial answer….