Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have severe sciatica, it affects my work, my sister in law

Customer Question

i have severe sciatica, it affects my work, my sister in law gave me palexia and it worked for up to 6 hours, compared to solpadol (cocodamol 30/500) and i could still work. How do i ask my doctor for the Palexia, as the other doesnt help as much and I do not want to take too many?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The Palexia is actually closer to the tramadol than the solpadol. Both the Palexia (tapentadol) and tramadol work by two mechanisms - a direct action on the most common opioid receptor and inhibiting clearance of neurotransmitters in the brain, resulting in higher levels of the neurotransmitters. However, the effect on neurotransmitters is slightly different between the two drugs.

As for what to say to your doctor, you could say that your sister-in-law recommended the drug, as it worked well for her, and you have noticed that it works better for you. If your doctor has been willing to prescribe tramadol, then there would usually not be a concern about prescribing tapentadol.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.