Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my friend is male age 27 has

Customer Question

my friend is male age 27 has
IBIL BILIRUBIN 2.75 mg/dL INDIRECT
DBIL BILIRUBIN 0.44 mg/dL DIRECT
AND TOTAL BILIRUBIN TBIL 3.19 mg. TOTAL
WHAT IS THE NORMAL? WHAT IS HIS RISK FACTOR?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The normal range for total bilirubin is about 0.2 - 1.2 mg/dl, for direct bilirubin is about 0.1 - 0.4 mg/dl, and for indirect bilirubin is about 0.1 - 0.8 mg/dl. Normal ranges can vary slightly from one lab to another, so the normal range included on the lab report should be followed.

In this case, the direct bilirubin of 0.44 mg/dl is close to the upper limit of the normal range, so the primary result that is of note is an increase in the indirect bilirubin.

An increase in bilirubin can be due to increased production of bilirubin or decreased clearance of bilirubin. The bilirubin is produced by breakdown of haemoglobin in red blood cells. The bilirubin is cleared from the blood by metabolism in the liver.

The most common cause of an increase in indirect bilirubin is Gilberts syndrome, which is considered a normal variant. This is due to a slight decrease in metabolism of bilirubin, but there is no long term adverse outcome associated with this syndrome, which is why it is considered a normal variant.

However, it is also possible that any condition that increases the breakdown of red blood cells or affects liver function can cause an increase in bilirubin. Other blood tests, such as the blood count and liver function studies, will usually suggest whether it is a problem with blood cells or liver. If all of these other labs are normal, then it is most likely Gilberts syndrome.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.