DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I believe that I am being badly affected by metal toxicity.

Customer Question

I believe that I am being badly affected by metal toxicity. In 2010 I was fitted with Harrington rods (T2-L4) for scoliosis. A few months after this I started getting burning where the screws were.Im told they are titanium alloy with stainless steel screws. Now I have constant pain at site of screws(burning sharp pain) All down my spine it burns badly and I have burning in groin and pins and needles and numbness in fingers and feet.My thighs burn badly .Its unbearable now .A neurosurgeon told me it was the implant-the screws and not his remit .The orthopedic surgeon told me it was neurological and not his remit I then went and had blood test for metal sensitivity done by MELISSA in London Metal tests show extremely high sensitivity to Nickel1 and sensitivity to Nickel 11. Blood tests for toxic elements showed high levels of Chromium (34.9nmol/L) ,tin (61.0nmol/L) and arsenic (186nmol/L)and slight raise in Cobalt and mercury. NAD to Nickel. (strange).Im told this could be due to fact themetal is not presenting as free ions in blood but is attached to tissues around metal work. I need advise as the pain has worsened and I feel exhausted all the time. My GP is stumped and asked me google as she is unsure where I can go for help as this is a relatively new problem in medicine (am told).
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

It is true that cobalt, arsenic, and nickel, and even chromium in very high amounts.

You need to see an MD expert in chelation, although colbalt is not effectively chelated, nor is chromium to any great extent.

The others are however, and this might help.

Call here and get trained doctors in your area

www.acam.org

Effectively you need a doctor trained in biotoxicity.

Another group can be found here:

www.functionalmedicine.org

Other causes of neuropathy can be

Diabetes

Autoimmune diseases

B vitamin deficiencies

Liver or kidney disease

Hidden infection or malignancy

Other [idiopathic]

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It appears you are in the UK.
Both of the links I gave you, if you call, will have doctors associated with them who are in the UK.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please clarify first sentence....

"It is true that cobalt, arsenic, and nickel, and even chromium in very high amounts."

what do you mean please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please clarify first sentence....

what do you mean please?

I can rate you when I can clarify the sentence as I just don't know what you mean.Please assist. Thankyou

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I mean that heavy metal toxicity can cause your symptoms...neuropathy.
It is one of the overlooked causes.
So, again, you need to see the specialist.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. yes it is an overlooked cause.

Thank you for your help .

A really good response and I will see who I can see.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Good luck
Please do not forget a rating.
find me here any time