Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I suffer with anxiety and my doctor started me on a low dose

I suffer with anxiety and my doctor started me on a low dose of seroxat until i was was on 40mg of seroxat my doctor then switched me to 20mg of setraline i felt awful vertigo etc stopped setraline went back on 20mg seroxat felt dizzy but vetigo eased wanted to get off seroxat convinced causing these awful symptons have dropped to half a tablet for 3 days and the vertigo is back with nausea and all the symptons of withdrawl from this drug my doctor is away for 3 wks i ritrovil i take a couple of drops a night will these help me if i take more during the day to get off seroxat am at my wits end do not know what way to turn go back up on seroxat or persevere with half please help desperate many thanks jean XXXXXXX

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

When someone is developing withdrawal symptoms from trying to taper off seroxat or similar medicines, the usual approach is to reduce the dose more gradually. Some people are so sensitive to tapering off these drugs that it is necessary to lower the dose in increments of 10% of the original dose. The advantage of a more gradual taper is that it will help to ease a broad range of symptoms that can be due to withdrawal.

The ritrovil may help with certain symptoms associated with withdrawal from seroxat, as certain symptoms may be related to anxiety. However, many of the symptoms of withdrawal from seroxat are not due to anxiety, and the ritrovil typically will not help with this symptoms.

So, the usual approach to your situation would be to resume the prior dose of the seroxat and then perform a more gradual taper, but it would be OK to try the ritrovil to see if it helps ease the symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.