Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

, I've been 3 weeks with persistent gas just above belly

Hello, I've been 3 weeks with persistent gas just above belly button. I'm a 36 year old female. What are the possible causes please? thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Any problem with bowel movements?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have the following conditions: IBS, Gilbert Syndrome, polycystic ovaries, small hiatal hernia.

In reply to your question, I've had bad anxiety and stress lately work and personal related.

My symptoms are mainly gas in the stomach, that sometimes go all over my abdomen. In addition I have a dull pain just above the navel on the right side and also more belching than usual. I also have mild nausea when the gas is in the oesophagus. However, non of these symptoms wake me up at night, apart from the gas in the upper abdomen that woke me up twice.

I eat well, I haven't lost weight, I've only had 2 episodes of heartburn the second day these symptoms started and I'm also trying for a baby.

I hope I have captured everything.

Monica

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
Well, having Excessive gas can be due to following reasons.
You may have gastritis or acid peptic or gall bladder disease .
Sometimes H. Pylori infection may precipitate it.
Also, increase swallowing of gas during drinking can increase production of gas in colon from undigested food.
You should avoid foods which are causing increase in gas production.
You should not eat/drink too fast, chew the food properly, increase water intake, avoid smoking, cut down fat intake, and increase your daily mobility.
You should avoid these foods-
beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads and carbonated drinks.
You can try OTC simethicone to reduce such symptoms. This would be helpful.
Lifestyle habits such as meal timings, regular sleep timings and most importantly regular bowel movements are also important. Some amount of physical activity is essential for the efficient functioning of your digestive system.
Probiotics may also be useful in treating your symptoms.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
It is advised that you should eat six small meals a day rather than three large ones. Smaller meals are easier to digest and may produce less gas.
Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.
Take Zantac 150mg twice a day.
A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.
You should get your diet planned from dietitian.
If such symptoms are severe, and not resolved with such home measures, then it would be advisable to seek a medical diagnosis as there could be some other underlying condition that contributes to the problem.
All the Best for getting pregnancy.
I would recommend that you visit Gastroenterologist for evaluation and get it managed.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.