Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Will Cyclophosphamide

Will Cyclophosphamide have any effect on the skin of the owner of the dog. The medication has been given to the dog for 2 years 1 x weekly?
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean via direct tablet contact?
Have you been wearing gloves to give this?

Or via contact with Archie?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Medication is being given with gloves.

This is contact with Archie in a hydrotherapy pool @30 degrees c.

The water becomes cloudy and there are changes to the ph of the water. I also come out in a hot, itchy rash on my arms and legs (only exposed parts outside of wetsuit) that takes approx. 1 week to calm down.

Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.
Hi Graham,

Do you mean that the water becomes cloudy around him or yourself?

Do you think he is urinating in the pool?

Do you have any of these reactions with the pool water when he is not in the pool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The entire pool becomes cloudy.

I only react after he has been in the pool, not other reaction with any dog, or clouding of water.

He is not urinating.

I have suspended his therapy sessions for the past 3 weeks and have not had a single issue in the pool or my skin.

It only happens with this dog.

Concerned that extended use of drug has caused him to excrete through his skin when in water.

Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Graham,

Thank you for your further information. Now I have to say that as we discuss this, it is more a medical issue then veterinary. Skin secretion of this drug in dogs is not reported, but I do think an doctor or oncologist would be better able to advise you if this is a risk here (Since there are reports of the risk of derma exposure in nurses handling this drug in human cancer wards). Therefore, I will refer you over to that expert group and they should be able to advise you on the potential for this to be triggered your signs.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. When will I receive further advice?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still haven't had any response to the enquiry that was past on, could you possibly make contact for me.

Kindest

Graham

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Graham,
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--let me see if I can help here--can you describe the rash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very itchy and arms and legs (only skin exposed outside of wetsuit) becomes red and warm
Slight raised little lumps, very uncomfortable. Only way to relieve is by apply very damp cold towels for 2 hours plus.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Allergic reactions to cyclophosphamide are common for patients that actually take the medication. Obviously if you have this reaction only with Archie in the pool and not with any other dog in therapy then it isn't anything in the water of the pool itself that's causing this--like cholorine, for example. This is an unusual case of the medication actually being secreted from Archie's skin and getting into the water. My advice would be that you and anyone else in this kind of situation either completely cover every inch of exposed skin or otherwise not attempt to work with Archie in the pool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that I could have suffered an exposure to this medicine? And can it do me any harm?
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I definitely think it's a topical exposure--just to your skin. I don't think there's any harm done here except for having the rash.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suffer with mild skin issues and my other Hydrotherapists do not react. Do you feel it would be safe for them to continue treating Archie as they do not react? Any long term effect?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No long term effect from just getting it on the skin but obviously in your case there is an allergic reaction. But all that said, it would be a good idea for your boss to contact the Health Department and have their doctor know about this
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.