Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 20 yrs old and keep collapsing when standing

Customer Question

I am 20 yrs old and keep collapsing when standing for longer than 25 minutes or there abouts. As far as I remember it started when I was 7 and has continued up until now. I have had blood tests, glucose, thyroid, ECG and EEG however they have all seemed to come back clear. Any advice as to what it could be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--can you tell me what you mean by collapsing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be standing and then start getting tired, yawning, feel like there's lack of oxygen, torso and upwards will get very hot and sweaty but from waist down cold. Knees start to ache and then legs. Lose concentration, struggle to keep my eyes open and focus on one thing and then fall to the ground.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So you acttually pass out--lose consciousness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but only for a short amount of time. I have once come back around, panicked because I didn't know what happened and I lost consciousness again. During this one occasion I also wet myself.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Katie. Have you had what's called a tilt table test--placing you on a table that puts your feet well above your head and checking your blood pressure with that maneuver?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were going to but after making me stand for just 10 minutes they said they don't need to as my blood pressure had already dropped by just doing that. I'm in the army as well so I'm pretty fit and it doesn't matter on the room temperature either.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--we can continue after this if you'd like but it sounds as though you have POTS--postural tachycardia syndrome. The tilt test is very important for the diagnosis along with the symptoms and your symptoms sound classic. On your own, plenty of hydration during the day and salt tablets can help, but there are medications like clonidine and fludrocortisone that are very effective for this. In general this should be evaluated by either a neurologist or an endocrinologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will make sure I do one. I got told months ago that it might have been that but the idea got disposed of straight away as soon as I was referred. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes Katie