Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

. I have tingling feet most of the time. A prickly

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 61 year old woman, not overweight and in pretty good health. I am hypothyroid and on levothyroxine (75)  Starting 15 months ago, I now have tingling feet most of the time and a prickly tingling in both hips - at the sides mostly but a little underneath my backside.  My legs also can be tingly and there is a numb feeling very occasionally in them - they can feel cold.  I have been diagnosed many moons ago as having Reynauds.  I have been to my very overworked Doctor in the GP who said all tingling is sciatica.  I do not believe this is sciatica.  Other info is that in the last 6 months I have been having excruciating foot night cramps.  I was diagnosed with first signs of Raynauds many moons ago and wonder if this something to do with Raynauds.    I would also like to know how this works.  I have paid £26 which has been removed through Pay Pal but I understood that I only pay if I get a satisfactory answer?   Many thanks for your reading of this.  Mary

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--sorry for the delay. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Is all this constant or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tingling feet are now pretty well constant. The hip tingling comes and goes but has been around now for about 6 months. The hip tingling is quite a sharp pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And no problem like this with your arms or hands? Any history of diabetes or liver or kidney problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Nothing at all in hands or arms. All lower body. Just had liver and kidney bloods done and all well. No diabetes as far as I know. My only known diagnosis is Raynauds, and Hypothiroidism.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mary. How is your hypothyroidism being treated and do you know your latest TSH value?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmmmm. I am on Levothiroxine 75. I do not know the TSH value. It was tested last week and my doctor said it was "fine". I do not know what it was. He said the meds did not need changed as all was well. He is not interested in my tingling. He says it is sciatica. I do not feel this is right.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And I agree with your Mary--this isn't sciatica and I don't think it's Raynaud's related either. My thoughts here--unless your TSH is about 1.0 or lower then you need your levothyroxine dosage elevated. But other possiblities would include magnesium deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, or--very unlikely but in the mix--heavy metal (lead and mercury) toxicity. Hopefull you can talk to your doctor and get all that checked out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. I will look into this. Mary

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but please let me know how it goes