Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Control of pain associated with Popeye muscle.

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Which anti-inflammatory medicine has been tried? At what dose?
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you taking any medicines for other medical problems?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Conservative treatment when there has been a tear of the biceps tendon usually includes the use of local care, such as ice for the first couple days and moist heat thereafter, anti-inflammatory medicines, and rest, followed later by progressive exercises.

I ask about the anti-inflammatory medicine and dose because it may require a higher dose than is usually taken with the over the counter strengths. Optimal anti-inflammatory activity is achieved with 1600-2400 mg per day of ibuprofen or 1000-1500 mg per day of naproxen. There are prescription strength pills of 800 mg of ibuprofen and 500 mg of naproxen, both intended to be taken 2-3 times per day, but it is also OK to take an equivalent amount of the over the counter strength. It is also fine to augment the anti-inflammatory medicine with acetaminophen/paracetamol.

If these conservative measures are not effective at controlling pain, then the doctor may consider using an opiate pain medicine, usually a milder medicine, such as codeine or hydrocodone. It also may be necessary to consider surgical interventions if conservative measures are not effective.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.