Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

...I am 7 weeks postpartum and have started bleeding again

Hello...I am 7 weeks postpartum and have started bleeding again over the last few days. It's red/pink and only a small amount, mainly on wiping. I have no other symptoms and Breast feeding on demand. Did mention it at 6week chk but the doctor thought it might just be related to constipation (wasn't sure of origin at this point) but def vaginal. Had a natural birth with no stitches. What might this be?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This seems like Lochia or post partum discharge which is pink watery and decreases over time, usually this subsides in about 5 to 6 weeks but some women have it for a few more weeks before it stops completely.
If you have started on the progestin-only birth control pill (the "minipill") or gotten the birth control shot (Depo-Provera), you're likely to have spotting for a month or more, and that's perfectly normal.
Lochia refers to vaginal discharge during the postpartum period. (The term comes from a Greek word that means "relating to childbirth.") It consists of blood, sloughed-off tissue from the lining of the uterus, and bacteria.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. This initial bleeding appeared to stop after about 3 weeks but this light bleeding has just started now at seven weeks. Is this normal? I'm not currently on any form of birth control.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, initially, the bleeding is more intense, there are clots and the blood is dark red as well, then it subsides and fluctuates on and off for a few weeks.
It should subside, if it doesn't then you should visit your Obs/Gyn.
Hope this helps.
Best.