Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 32 male, very slim, in reasonable health. I started to

I am 32 male, very slim, in reasonable health. I started to get a slight twitch in my right thumb. It happens mostly when at rest, usually before sleeping. It started about 2 weeks ago. I decided to check if it meant anything online and have become fixed on ALS. Since then I have started to feel like my right side is weaker and have more tiredness and aches in both arm and leg. I feel a little weak and shaky inside but no physical tremors. I have also started experiencing/noticing more twitching across my body. I have been coughing and clearing my throat more for a few days also.
I have been looking at my body for changes in muscles and have convinced myself that variations of 1-2mm exist.
I feel sick with worry and cannot get this off my mind. Please can you provide some advice on what my symptoms suggest? Am I causing myself to feel this way because of anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is most certainly your anxiety that is getting the better of you at the moment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Twitching in any part of the body is something that is very common and often happens for no known reason.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It happens in people who are anxiety prone and in people who take a lot of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee, cold drinks etc.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The chances of this being ALS is ZERO.

Customer:

Should I still visit a doctor to get a check up?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you should visit a psychiatirst actually.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You may need something to relieve your anxiety.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.k

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me when you are done by clicking on one of the smilies below.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is anxiety strong enough to cause the symptoms I am feeling? Why would it feel like it is only affecting one side of my body?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Anxiety can cause all the symptoms that you have listed.
"Why would it feel like it is only affecting one side of my body?"
Unfortunately we do not know why, but our brain is what makes our body do very strange things and produce strange symptoms.
But what I can say for sure is that this is anxiety that is taking the better of you at the moment and it is not anything serious like ALS.
To relieve your anxiety or to reassure you further I would like that you should be examined by a neurologist.
ALS is a clinical diagnosis and if the neurologist finds something on your examination suggestive of ALS he/she will definitely let you know.
I think that ALS is something that would be EXTREMELY unlikely in your case.
I think that internet searching is something that you should not do as it will only serve to worsen your anxiety further which in-turn will worsen your symptoms further.
Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine