Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 86 year old mother is on a plethora of medicines – listed

My 86 year old mother is on a plethora of medicines – listed here – and I wonder what you think of them? She has a thyroid problem, and a heart problem – although I don’t know what exactly as she’s not very reliable at telling me what her GP has said, and as she lives a long way away I can’t easily attend with her. The drugs are:
Amiodarone 200 mg once a day
Atorvastatin 10 mg
Bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg two a day (she takes these together)
Bisoprolol 5 mg
Cyclizine 50 mg (three a day as required)
Levothyroxine 25 mg three a day (she takes these together)
Nasacort 2 puffs
Losartan 50 mg one per day
Of course, I’ve looked-up what they are for, and really want to know whether this is a typical mix for someone with heart and thyroid problems?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be fairly common that someone with heart disease and thyroid disease would be on most of these medicines, but some of these medicine suggest other issues. The type of heart disease for which these medicines would most often be used is for congestive heart failure associated with an abnormal heart rhythm, such as atrial fibrillation. The Nasacort would typically be used for chronic nasal congestion, such as from allergies, and the cyclizine is most often used for inner ear disease, such as recurrent vertigo.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What other issues do these suggest please?

There is no other issue that is definitely indicated by these medicines beyond those noted above. The atorvastatin is a medicine to lower cholesterol, but heart disease is one of the indications for use of a statin, so it is not necessarily an indication that the cholesterol has been significantly elevated.