Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am asking this question on behalf of my husband who recently

Hi I am asking this question on behalf of my husband who recently had a kidney removed, with a large tumour inside. We recently found out that not all the tumour was taken and a small piece the size of a grape was left very close to his pancrious. He has been told that it might be best to monitor this by scans to see if it gets any bigger. My husband is 69 years of age and I was wondering if he was younger would he be given other drug treatments.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--do you know exactly what the pathology of the tumour was? And is he or did he receive anything like radiation or chemotherapy for it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He did not receive any treatment other than his operation last August.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And do you know what the pathology of the tumour is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im sorry I do not know what the pathology of the tumour is, but I think it was a stage one tumour

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Before I answer I assume he's seen an oncologist--a cancer doctor? If so what has that doctor said to him about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

His oncologist has said that he is prepared to refer him to a pancriatic surgon if he wishes but the operation may be very big as big as his recent surgery in August which was very traumatic for him to get over. He has not been offerd any chemo or radio therapy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Indeed, if a surgeon went back in and had to remove part of his pancreas to get all the remaining tumour that is a very extensive and risky surgery for someone his age. Even if that were done, the chances are that every bit of the tumour would not be removed. As for radiation and chemotherapy for renal cell carcinomas, neither is very effective and at best that might extend the life expectancy a few extra months. For now I think close follow up to observe the remaining bit of tumour is the proper treatment for him