DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

. I have had an enlarged a week. I

Hello. I have had an enlarged testical for about a week. I don't have my ultrasound scan for another two weeks to find out what it is. And its going to take another two weeks to get the results. My doctor thinks I might have epididymo-orchitis. And has given me, Ofloxacin, Its not so much the testical that hurts much, although it can do, but it mainly seems to be the tubes connected to the testical that get very very sore for periods. Also as of today, it has been very tingly down there. King of tickly if you know what I mean. I also got that same sensation oddly at the top of my chest. Maybe that is nerves ? Anyway the point here is that I am on my 3rd day of Ofloxacin today, but if anything it has got worse down below and I am struggling to cope with it. I really hoped that the pain and discomfort would of started going after 2 or 3 days. Now I am at the point where I could not sleep last night, and cannot cope with the symptoms down below, and also the side effects of Ofloxacin are very hard. I want to stop these anti biotics and try some others, but am a bit scared to. Last night was extremely hard for me, and I am now at the point where I don't know what to do.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
To answer your questions.
It is most likely epiditymitus the way you describe it.
An infection of the structure next to the testicle.
If the antibiotic is correct, it should start showing noticeable improvement by today or tomorrow.
If not, call the doctor and go on something wider spectrum, such as doxycicline, which has broader coverage.
I would try to quell the anxiety, as the tingling in the chest has no relation to the testicle problem.
If you keep getting that type of symptom, anxiety is high on the list, but also medication side effects always must be considered.
Any symptoms in the chest also warrant an exam and EKG if you have not had one.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well the chest thing might be anxiety as I do suffer from that, but, the tingling had even reached my stomach on the right side. Funny as the tingling in on the right side of my chest, and right testical, if this is due to side effects, how come I have only just got these side effects today ? shouldn't I have got these side effects when I started the tablets on the first day ? You mentioned doxycycline. I was under the impression that both the tablet I am on (Ofloxacin) and (Ciprofloxacin) were the main two medications to treat epiditymitus, and were the most effective ? Which does scared me as the last time I was on Ciprofloxacin, I found it incredibly hard to finish the course, and that course was for 5 days, for epiditymitus I belive that the course is 10 days. I am realy not sure I could handle it for that long after having struggled to do a 5 day course with it in the past. After the last day I am very tempted to quit Ofloxacin as the side effects are very hard with that as well, and today is day three on them and has been my worse day, as far as the epiditymitus symptoms go.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Side effects can develop at any time, if they are side effects.
Cipro and the like have developed lost of bacterial resistance over the last decade.
Docycicline is the default antibiotic.
My answer remains exactly the same as above.
Do not simply quit your antibiotic without talking to your doctor and changing antibiotics. That would create the complication of possibly only partially treated infection.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Then come back as needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By the way I would like to add, if I havent already lol. That I had had this condistion for about 7 days before I started Ofloxacin, Would that mean that the Ofloxacin would take more than the 3 days suggested to eas my symptoms ?

Also if I stop taking Ofloxacin, how long would I have to wait before I start taking doxycycline, or Ciprofloxacin ?

Another worry, is that if I stop taking Ofloxacin now after a few days, would that make the infection stronger nessasaraly, and harder to fight of with one of the other two anti biotics ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes it could mean the antibiotic could take longer, but if not working in 3 to 4 days, as I said, I would change it. Usually, effects are apparent after 48 hours.
You don't have to wait any time when changing.
The infection does not get stronger.
It is very clear to me that anxiety is influencing you as well.
See my offer more offer.
Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes anxiety is a big problem for me. I do struggle with most tablets I take, because if my body, or more specifically my head starts to feel as heavy and dreamlike as it does taking Ofloxacin and some others, Then that is very very uncomftable for me emotionally. I have managed to finish some of my courses of anti biotics in the past though, including doxycycline infact for a chest infection in fact. I might of managed a couple of courses of that come to think of it, but after having a long look on the internet, about what tablets to take for epiditymitus, Ofloxacin and the dreaded ciprofloxacin seemed to be the main two that was brought up for than condistion, the doctor who prescribed me Ofloxacin infacf told me ciprofloxacin was the first choice for this condition, and Ofloxacin was the second, I would like to add that she was not my doctor as my doctor has been away the last week. But if you are sure doxycycline is the main anti biotic for my condition, then I will speak to my doctor about that when he is back Monday morning. I see you have offered me more help for £14. I am afraid that I broke the back with what I have already payed lol. So to ease my nerves and make sure lol. The "dreaded" Ciprofloxacin, is not the best anti biotic for me to take for this condition, and doxycycline is the best ? One more thing. I am aware that I am proberly rambling a bit now, but as an IBS suffer, Ofloxacin has played havoc with my tummy. Would Doxycycline also be better for me in that respect ? thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Hes gone offline I think.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
The CDC recommended treatment for epididymitis is not doxycycline. It is:
1. Rocephin 250 mg Im injection followed by oral doxycycline
Or
2. Levaquin 500 twice a day for 10 days or oflaxacin 300 mg twice a day for 10 days.
Cipro is a safe antibiotic and should not be "dreaded" in young people but is not the drug of choice anyway.
Doxycycline is easier on your stomach but not effective alone and you would need the long acting Rocephin injection also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now I am confused, as the Doctor I spoke to before you, said that Doxycycline was the main anti biotic for Epididymo-orchitis O_o

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I think that she has gone offline
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry you are confused. As I stated above the CDC recommended guidelines include Ceftriazone 250 mg injection combined with 10 days doxycycline. Doxycycline alone is not sufficient.
Please do not keep relisting, its best to wait for a reply
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Don't know what happened there: I was not off line, some type of site problem if you were trying to get me, as I received no response from you...

In fact, Have you talked with your doctor about this at all If you are not at risk for sexually transmitted disease, you don't need the rocephen....

Are you sexually active?

In fact, if it is acute infection most likely caused by enteric oraganisms, docycicline alone is fine, and better coverage that cipro

Has your doctor ruled out hydrocele, varicocele, torsion?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Sorry also for the confusion.

Antibiotic treatment must be individualized.

In your case, you have probably had enough ofloxacin to cover gonorrhea, so adding the rocephin at this point, even in the case of that bug, would be redundant.

Here is some good information on the use of ofloxacin

http://www.medicinenet.com/ofloxacin/article.htm

I would talk to your doctor, really establish what your diagnosis is, even if you move up the ultrasound.

I think doxy alone is fine.

You can discuss rocephen [ a shot] but I do not think it is necessary.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok well if you think Doxy alone is fine, and my own Doctor suggested it when I saw him before he went on holyday suggested it, that's proberly what I should of started. I will hang in there till Monday, and then see my doctor and hopefully, start a course of Doxy.

I am not sure if you got my last message, as when I pressed send your latest message came though and I cant see the last one that I sent on here. Just in case you did not get it, Yes I did see my doctor just before he went on holyday. He felt my testicals, felt no lumps and said there was no sign of tumors or anything like that to get worried about. I also had my testicals examined by another doctor as well and she said the same thing.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
Sounds good.
Remember, you can find me in medical by request, any day.
It does appear I did not get one of your replies.
Good luck.
Please don't forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.