Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My mother is 91, she has severe aortic heart disease, triple

Customer Question

Hi My mother is 91, she has severe aortic heart disease, triple bypass, colostomy, and is losing her sight. She has good and bad days but has done remarkably.her mind has been very sharp.In te last month I have noticed that her walk is more wobbly, she is getting the days mixed up, she is sleeping for hours during the day, and sometimes cannot find her words, and says the wrong one(which she knows)
She seems less interested in the world(which she always was0. I am trying to plan for us over the next 6 months- I take care of her. A friend and family member think things are changing quite fast and she may be deteropiating and deciding to let go. What do yo think?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. First off what medications is she taking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sinvastatin
Clopidogrel
Lansiprazole
Calceos
Escitalopram
Zioplcone 1 .5
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Judith--why the escitalopram and how long has she been on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

depression following death of my father a year ago

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--has she also been seeing anyone like a grief counselor? And does she strike you as still depressed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not worse, better than she was, just seems more and more cut off and sleeping

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--can I ask what you meant by planning for the next six months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well last year she was quite perky and we took her to france for the summer, this year, I wonder if her body is shutting down. With my father, he simply died at 93 without warning, this feels different.I suppose I want to be emoitionally prepared as well as practically prepared

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Judith. Of course she isn't a spring chicken as you well know. Quite frankly I question her being on the escitalopram--that may be part of the problem. I myself would have her see a grief counselor since I think this is depression that hasn't beeen properly treated.