Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My son is 7 and out of no where woke up with a verbal tic it

Customer Question

My son is 7 and out of no where woke up with a verbal tic it has become more agressive and constant as the days go on
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--how long ago did this start? Can you tell me more about the tic itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tic started a week ago it began as a mumble which as progressed to a constant repeat of saying what sounds like "Eger" it is constant the volume varies most in normal talking level and some as a shout. He has told me its in his head and can't stop saying it he doesn't seem to always be aware that he is saying it. He is also flicking his finger occasionally but not as consistently as the verbal tic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. We can continue after this if you'd like but with the combination of verbal tic and the finger flicking that's very characteristic of Tourette's syndrome. Here's an informative link for you

http://www.childmind.org/en/health/disorder-guide/chronic-motor-or-vocal-tic-disorder

This could be transient and not last from much longer but he needs to see his pediatrician about it for now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would this be a life long condition or something which will pass is there any other possible reasons for the tics
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This doesn't sound like much of a motor tic disorder like myoclonus or dystonia. Usually this isn't life long and the child grows out of it in time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry please could I have clarification are you stating the disorder you do not think he has is not life long or the form of Tourette's you think he may have?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think this is simple Tourette's and not another neurological condition he has. In general Tourette's is a condition that needs treatement from a child psychologist and occasionally medication but at his age it doesn't become a life long problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advise
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how things go and please remember to rate my service to you