Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

. My daughter recently gave birth to a little girl. While

Hello.
My daughter recently gave birth to a little girl. While in hospital they put the baby on intravenous antibiotics. I was told that her mother was infected with the strep B bacteria and that this may have been passed on to the baby at birth.
I have never heard of this before and how did my daughter contract it.
Also how will this affect the baby.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but the strep B bacteria is present in about 25% of women's vaginas and it isn't often a true infection, and it isn't an STD. But a pregnant woman with strep B in her vagina can transmit that to her baby during delivery and that's why the baby needed the antibiotics. Properly treated there's no real harm to the baby

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will the baby carry it into adulthood and have the same problem herself if and when she has a baby

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, that won't be carried into adulthood and will have no risk for her having a child.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you Ruth