Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had varicose vein laser treatment on my leg just under

I have had varicose vein laser treatment on my leg just under 2 weeks ago, My problem is I have to wear ted stocking day and night for 2 weeks and daily for a further 4 weeks, but it wont stay up. I was told it was probably the wrong size and gave my measurements for a larger size, unfortunately I am having the same problem, and because I thought maybe the new stocking wasn't strong enough I changed back to the smaller size, but I keep getting twinges in my calf. I don't know what to do and I keep getting really worked up about it thinking its a dvt. Im supposed to make sure I keep walking about but its very hard whennthe stocking isn't doing its job what should I do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--exactly what kind of vein treatment did you have? And are these thigh-high stockings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had radiofrequency abalation? and multiple avulsions It is a thigh length

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anne--can you tell me more about the twinges in your calf? Any swelling there or tenderness to the muscle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does feel quite lumpy and tender to touch

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First about the stockings--they aren't essential after your kind of therapy--just to compress the superficial veins basically. But I am very concerned that with the problem you've had with them the deeper veins may have been compressed. What you describe is very much the way a deep venous thrombosus presents and you need either to let your doctor know right away or get to an emergency room since you need an urgent venous Doppler study of the leg. If it is a DVT, without blood thinner medication it can lead to a life threatening pulmonary embolus
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for you advice I will see to it now

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes Anne and please remember to rate my service to you