Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

, I am 53 years of age and just had a Bilateral Inguinal

Customer Question

Hi, I am 53 years of age and just had a Bilateral Inguinal Hernia repair, this was 2 weeks ago. I am now concerned as I have an unpleasant sensation in my right testicle which is very sensitive to touch, and appears smaller, which also retracts & pulls up to the abdomen in a pulling sensation, this does subside but it appears to come from the tummy to the scrotum & feels as if it is being pulled tight on a piece of string and very unpleasant. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

This is definitely related to the pressure on the nerves supplying the area.

Dr Basu :

The nerves go through the inguinal canal to the testivles.

Dr Basu :

testicles.

Dr Basu :

The mesh used for hernia repair can cause pressure on the nerves and hence the sensation.

Dr Basu :

Usually this subsides gradually over time.

Dr Basu :

You should not lift any heavy thing for now.

Dr Basu :

Without any visible swelling this is not recurrence of hernia.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I hope you come back to read this, but as a former surgeon who has performed hundreds of inguinal hernia repairs with and without mesh I can state unequivocally that this is not a problem with the mesh pressing on nerves. It sounds like a problem with your spermatic cord and the nerves and blood vessels that run through it to supply your testicles. It sounds like the cord is getting caught and may even be getting twisted and you're in danger of losing that testicle. You need to let your surgeon know about your symptoms immediately
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! for taking the time to send your email, I will be seeing my Consultant tomorrow as you advised, many thanks for your advice and concern .

Thanks again

P.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure