Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

if a teenager is thought to be anaemic should she have a blood

Customer Question

if a teenager is thought to be anaemic should she have a blood test
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your tennager's discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Yes,if a teenager is thought to be anaemic she should have a series of blood test to know various levels of blood cells.
There are so many causes of extremely low levels of iron.The first thing is to find out the causes & type of this anaemia.
She needs tests like complete blood cell(CBC) that includes:hemoglobin (Hb) value,total leucocyte count(TLC),differntial leucocyte count(DLC).
Other specific tests may be required later after the report of CBC.
Treatment will depend upon whether she is not getting enough iron in the diet (increase iron intake); not absorbing iron (surgery for celiac sprue, etc.); or losing amounts of iron over time. That is treatment is done according to the cause.
She needs a doctor's appointment for the examination & tests to know the exact cause & then treatment (if required) will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert