Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a swelling under my chin/side of neck. It has been

I have a swelling under my chin/side of neck. It has been tehre for over a week now and is not gettign smaller. It feeld firm udner the skin. There is no rash or redness on the surface.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Any tenderness there? Any other symptoms like sore throat, fever, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a very slight chill/loss of energy a few days after it appeared, but no real flu or anything like that.
It doesnt feel tender or painful at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Charles--just for clarification here, this is just underneath your jaw bone? How large is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is underneath my jawbone, towards the side of my face.

It is about 3/3.5 cm across. I have nver had anything like it before.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Charles--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Most likely this is an enlarged salivary gland--either a submaxillary gland or the parotid gland. You probably have a stone impacted in the gland's duct and that's causing it to swell. You need to see a doctor about this as soon as possible and you need a ct scan to look for the stone. Sometimes these dislodge and pass on their own, but many times it takes an ear, nose and throat MD specialist to extract the stone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You dont think it is an infection e.g. of a lymph gland?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, for two reasons--it's location, and the fact that you don't have any sore throat or symptoms of a tooth infection. And an infected lymph node would be fairly tender. That said, left untreated, an impacted stone can eventually cause an infection in the salivary gland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Part of the reason for my concern about this lump is that about 6 weeks ago I had (protected) sex with a woman who later admitted she was HIV positive. Although we used a condom I wonder if there is still a risk of HIV infection. I have been meaning to go to a sexual health clinic as a double check.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

This isn't a sign of HIV Charles. That's really a second question but I'll answer it for you. The risk of HIV with condoms is extremely low and really only there if the condom is worn improperly or has a tear or a hole in it. That said, and even though I think you're fine, you should get screened. Let me know how all of this goes and please remember to rate my service to you

Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.