Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My child suffers from seizure he hasn't been diginosed yet

My child suffers from seizure he hasn't been diginosed yet but having a lot of symptoms I'm really worriedand ddon't no what to do help .
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Leah :

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry that your son is having difficulties.

Dr. Leah :

If your son seems to have what look like seizures, he really needs to be seen by a pediatric neurologist. Such a specialist has expertise in diagnosing and treating seizure disorders. Your son should have a full neurological exam and a test called an EEG which picks up any abnormal brainwaves that would be causing a seizure. There are EEGs that are done in about one hour or 48 hour EEGs if no findings are seen during the shorter test. The neurologist may also order an MRI to make sure there is no anatomical reason for the seizures. Some electrolyte abnormalities and infections can cause seizures which can be noted on a blood test.

Dr. Leah :

Once the cause of your son's seizures is determined, then the proper treatment can be suggested.

Dr. Leah :

I see that you are offline currently. If you have further questions when you return online, feel free to ask.

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Thank you so what happens if nothing shows up on the EEG or the MRI ?

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

What other things will they do to find out can iI send you a list of symptoms to see if you could suggest what it could be and what to do when heshe's having one please .

Dr. Leah :

If there is a metabolic or infectious cause for your son's symptoms, it may show up on a blood test. Although it is possible that an MRI would show no findings, the EEG should reveal the problem. A 48 hour EEG is often helpful to for "catching" and recording the seizure episode if nothing is seen on the shorter test.

Dr. Leah :

Treatment is determined by the type and frequency of the seizures. Treatment is also different for infants with seizures than older children. In most cases, the neurologist would offer whatever medication is able to stop or significantly reduce the seizure frequency that has the least amount of side effects.

Dr. Leah :

Once the proper medication regimen is determined, your son would have follow up EEGs every 6-12 months. Depending on the type of seizure, your son may need medication for as little as 3 years if it is a type he may outgrow, or treatment may be lifelong.

Dr. Leah :

As for what to do while your son is having a seizure, you should have him lie down away from anything with which he could get hurt. I would turn him on his side to prevent aspiration of any oral secretions. If the seizure is lasting longer than 1 minute or he remains unresponsive, you should call emergency services. In the case of recurrent seizures, a prescription for a rectally administered version of valium can be given for use in such cases to stop the seizure.

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

OK I understand it a bit better . So what do I need to do if he's having one for more than a minute but is responsive ' he's having a lot of symptoms here them all

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Sweeting on face and head

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Bright red in face

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Feet,legs and hands tence

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Heart racinh

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Day dreaming

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Every answer no

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Stiff jaw

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Eyes roll

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Happes more often when tierd and relaxed

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Shacking as if hes cold . Only some times

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

After having one he compains of his haed hurting

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Cant remember what just happend

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Cries

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Still in a day dream

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Falls to sleep

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Can you give ma any idea of what it could be i have wrote down the date and time he has one heres febuarys

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

02/02/15 had 3 in a space of an hour 04/02/15 05/02/15 07/02/15 09/02/15 had 2 13/02/15 14/02/15 15/02/15 20/02/15 had 2 in one day second one he feel to sleep d

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

Doing it

JACUSTOMER-q1qaqq9q- :

22/02/15 26/02/15 march 1/03/15 5/03/15 06/03/15 08/03/15 2 in a space of an hour hope this can give you a better idea and maybe help me understand of what it could be ? .

Dr. Leah :

Sorry for the delay in my replay. I think we have a time zone difference.

Dr. Leah :

From the symptoms that he has described, it does sound like a seizure. The fact that it happens more often when he is tired sounds consistent with a seizure as well. Symptoms alone are not enough to determine the specific type of seizure. He really needs to have an EEG. There are distinct brain wave patterns for one type of seizure versus another, so the EEG can be diagnostic.

Dr. Leah :

As for treatment, it should be customized for the type of seizure and patient. I cannot really tell you what medication would be best for your son based only on his symptoms.

Dr. Leah :

I strongly recommend that he either see a pediatric neurologist who can do testing in his/her office or take your son to the nearest emergency room after the next episode for testing to be done there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thank you so much I got a better picture of it all now and I think I will be able to deal with it all a bit better . Son times I just don't want to phone the emergency services and then when they come out he's not having one that my only problems really I'm finding it all really hard to deal with he's finally got him appointment 20 April witch I find is a long wait .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So could you give me an idea of may what type it could be just so I got aidea ppleas..

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
From the symptoms you listed, there are a few types of seizures that are possible. The "day dreaming" symptom is common what are called absence seizures. Many of the other symptoms sound like complex-partial seizures, particularly if he is "awake" during some of the episodes. Somnolence is very common after complex-partial as well as generalized seizures. In all seizure types, your son would not remember what occurred.
I agree that an appointment in April is quite a long wait for an evaluation with the frequency of episodes your son is having. I would definitely call emergency services during the next one.
Glad to help!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thank you ' does it matter if when I call for the emergency service if when they arrive it has stopped ? .

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
It does not matter. They should still evaluate him. He will most likely still be in his "post-ictal phase" with somnolence, so they will be able to tell that he had a seizure.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK than you so much I feel much better now I understand it all .

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Best wishes to your son!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.