Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm on Aubagio have been weeks I had a night

Customer Question

I'm on Aubagio for MS have been for 2 weeks
I had a night out Friday with alcohol, yesterday I was very sick, sweats, extreme fatigue which I put down to a severe hangover.
Today I have loss of appetite, tongue is white coated and raised at edges, rash under my breasts, right side of my belly and base of my spine also I have abdominal cramps ever so often. Also constant diarrhoea.
Pls advise what I should do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Can you describe the rash?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's like psoriasis as I've had it before when my body is stressed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Paula. How much in general do you drink?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be honest not too much, I don't drink during the week, this was a ball so I had probably 4-5 glasses of wine but was dancing a lot that night so didn't drink a huge amount hence the reason I was surprised by the hangover? I was fine Saturday morning until 11.30am when I was violently sick then I needed to sleep and had extreme sweats during the afternoon and was in bed for 8.30pm. I was ok today but no appetite so have eaten very little and have just had water. Now I've noticed the rash and the cramps have happened a fair amount tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Paula. This sounds like a case of acute nonviral hepatitis brought on by the combination of the Aubagio and the alcohol. The Aubagio sensitizes the liver to things like alcohol and it would seem in your case you've had a sudden flare up of an inflamed liver.. Of course another cause could be a bacterial enteritis but that wouldn't explain the rash. My suggestion is you see your doctor right away for this or get to an emergency room for an evaluaton and blood work. If it's an enteritis you need antibiotics. For the hepatitis, if that's what this is, that needs just no more alcohol and plenty of fluids