Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have shortness of breath low /Please and trace of blood

I have shortness of breath low B/Please and trace of blood in my urine . What may be wrong please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long have you had these symptoms?
Are you having any other lung symptoms, such as cough or sputum production?
What do you mean by “low B”?
Are you having any pain or burning with urination?
Are you having any abdominal or back pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shortness of breath sudden onset about a month ago . Low blood pressure 100/ 60.

Non smoker never

No pain or other urinary symptoms

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Non smoker never

No pain or other urinary symptoms

No sputum nor cough

Recent persistent cold type symptoms 2 months duration

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possible causes of these symptoms.

The most common cause of shortness of breath of relatively short duration is an infection. Most people with a lung infection will get bad symptoms for a month has elapsed, but there are some people with a mild to moderate infection that may not seek care, so that the infection can linger for a month. An infection also can cause systemic symptoms, including a low blood pressure and blood in the urine.

It is also possible that the shortness of breath could be related to non-infectious inflammation of the lungs. In someone with symptoms of short duration, it is more likely due to an illness that can come in acute episodes, such as allergies. However, there are also various chronic inflammatory or scarring conditions of the lung, such as pulmonary fibrosis, that can present with shortness of breath.

There are a variety of less common causes of shortness of breath, such as pulmonary hypertension. Shortness of breath can also be due to congestive heart failure, although this is more of a cause of chronic shortness of breath.

The most common cause of blood in the urine are either infection or kidney stones, but it would be unusual for either condition to cause shortness of breath or low blood pressure. If there is kidney dysfunction, then there can be fluid accumulation, which can cause fluid accumulation in the lungs that results in shortness of breath. If the fluid overload stresses the heart, then it can cause a low blood pressure.

Blood in the urine without other urinary symptoms can occur from inflammatory conditions of the kidneys.

Lastly, it is possible that it could be related to cancer. It is unusual for cancer in the lungs to cause shortness of breath as the initial lung symptom, but it can occur. This is true for cancers that start in the lung or that start elsewhere and travel to the lung. Cancer of the kidneys or bladder can also cause blood in the urine without other urinary symptoms.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause. Statistically, it is most likely due to infection, but there are many other possible causes that may need to be considered if there is no infection.

I had typed the above answer and when I tried to post the answer, I can now see the second response and the persistent cold type symptoms. In the context of persistent cold type symptoms for 2 months, that would make it even more likely that these other symptoms are due to infection.

If I could provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you .I have been a Registered nurse for 35 years .l am very concerned for my health. Every thing you have said l have already thought about , sometimes reassurance is needed . Thanks again for your help .

You are most welcome.