Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On the 26th of December 2013 i gave birth to my second child.

Customer Question

On the 26th of December 2013 i gave birth to my second child. I had retained placenta which had to be removed after birth. My periods started back in March 2014 and they have been ok, no heavier than before. In recent weeks maybe months I have been getting pelvic and groin pain every single day, its a throbbing and heavy feeling underneath mixed with a dull ache. I'm experiencing backache, pain in my legs mainly at the top and throughout the day on my left leg, at night they both ache at the top and start going down the legs. I also have a sweating feeling at night without actually sweating. I have been getting a brown discharge and occasionally irregular bleeding, the discharge doesn't smell. I had a clear smear test in April 2014 but bled at the time. Im really concerned about the daily pain i am getting in my pelvic area, its appears to have got worse in the past few weeks. Im not sure if this is normal post pregnancy especially after the process of removing the retained placenta.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not normal to be having these symptoms more than a year after a delivery complicated by a retained placenta. It also would be unlikely to be directly related to the retained placenta, with onset of symptoms so many months after the fact.

The primary concern with the pain that you have been experiencing along with a brown discharge and irregular bleeding would be an infection.

It is true that a retained placenta is a risk factor for developing an infection, but the infections that occur because of a retained placenta will typically happen much sooner than you have experienced. So, even if this is an infection, it is unlikely to be related to the retained placenta.

At this point, it would be appropriate for you to be seen by your doctor for a proper evaluation. The doctor will typically be able to determine if there is an infection based on the findings on physical exam and examination of the discharge.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should i be concerned about cervical cancer? are these similar symptoms? I understand that you can't make a judgement without proper evaluation but whilst waiting for an appointment should i be concerned about this?

I assume that the smear test in April was a Pap smear. If so, it would be very unlikely that cervical cancer can arise in less than a year after a normal Pap smear, which is why we no longer are doing annual Pap smears. So, if the smear was a Pap smear, then cervical cancer is not something over which you should be concerned.