Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

I have had a problem with sore throat and difficulty swallowing

I have had a problem with sore throat and difficulty swallowing pills and some foods, they seem to get stuck in the top of my throat
I have been to hospital and had a camera down my throat under general anasthetic, I have been told I had a small cyst removed that was not cancerous, but they took a biopsy from base of my tongue and said that the findings were suspicious of HPV, they never said what strain or number on the report they sent to my doctor, so doctor said not to worry, does a HPV in the throat have to be of the dangerous type, I just need to know if this remains infected on a perminant basis or does it go away
Thankyou
barrie Rush
Expert:  Caring doc replied 2 years ago.
Caring doc :

Welcome to just answer

Caring doc :

I will try to assist you with your problem today

Caring doc :

Hpv associated cancers tend to have better prognosis

Caring doc :

Hpv can only be prevented as there is no cure for the virus in terms of medicines as yet

Caring doc :

Warts or lesions associated with this can be treated by laser , surgery or cryotherapy

Caring doc :

Prevention would be not to engage in oral intercourse and for young adults getting the Hpv vaccine

Caring doc :

For you as you have had the surgery just follow your doctor periodically to monitor for tumor recurring e.

Caring doc :

You can get useful information using the link below

Caring doc :

http://m.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/centers/head_neck/HPV/

Caring doc :

I hope that answers your question

Caring doc :

Let me know is if you need more help

Customer:

Customer:

Does having HPV in the throat mean it is of the cancer formuing type or can it be a non dangerous one, I am confused because the hospital has not said what type it is, would they know from the biopsy