Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have had an extremely upset stomach 48 hours. I

I have had an extremely upset stomach for over 48 hours. I have lost my appetite and barely ate yesterday but kept to the BRAT diet. I saw a GP yesterday afternoon and as I have had IBS in the past diagnosed that. She prescribed Buscopan and I have taken 2 doses. I woke up an hour ago with extremely bad gastric reflux and cramps. I've been to the toilet and have had extremely bad, watery diarrhea. I still feel incredibly unwell and my stomach feels worse than ever. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to these symptoms & upset stomach since last 48 hours.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms you are having of extremely bad, watery diarrhea,bad gastric reflux and cramps can be due to a condition called gastroenteritis what you call as stomach flu.
Gastroenteritis is the irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract.Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, viral infections, food allergies, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections.
Take the following medications:
-Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from stomach cramps.
-Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day to get relief from gastric reflux/gas.
-Take tab. Loperamide to stop the watery diarrhea & loose stools.
All these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly to provide relief from these symptoms.
Watch your symptoms for the next 2-3 days, if still the symptoms persists,then you need antibiotics & anti amoebic medications to cure this.
Usually & most likely the symptoms gets relieved by these above described medications.Do not forget to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert