Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

head and ears feel blocked nasal clear muffled hearing feeling

head and ears feel blocked nasal clear muffled hearing feeling constantly tired
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

Can you tell me for how long this is going on?

Customer:

nine days now

Dr. Charogat :

Can you tell me what started this?

Dr. Charogat :

Did you just wake up with it?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you suffer from allergies normally?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you take any medications?

Customer:

i take no medicines, have no allergies or medical problems it just started

Dr. Charogat :

Have you been on any trips recently? Any swimming before this started?

Dr. Charogat :

Have you had any fevers?

Customer:

no swimming but on aeroplane a few days before

Dr. Charogat :

So no issues at any times on the plane?

Customer:

only the the normal ear popping and no fevers

Dr. Charogat :

Have you tried any diphenhydramine? Also, do you know what the ingredients were in your sudofed/

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I've changed this to a q & a type question so that you will not be prompted to pay any more.

Most likely what you are describing is congestion that will not cause problems but does cause a significant amount of discomfort. If I were you I would call my doctor or clinic and explain that my hearing has become compromised and that the amount of pain I was having in my ear (regardless of how small that amount of pain is) may be indicative of an infection and needs to be seen asap.

Does this help?

G-d Bless

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--let me see if I can help here. Any fever with this? Any cough or nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no cough or nasal discharge

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this for as long as you'd like. It sounds like you have a problem called patulous Eustachian tubes--swelling of the tubes from your middle ear to you nasopharynx. That causes pressure behind the ear drum and muffles your hearing. Actually decongestants like the Actifed and the sudafed can make this worse, not better, so you need to stop those. You may also have a sinus infection here. If it's not possible for you to see a doctor my suggestion would be to use either a Neti pot or a saline nasal irrigation system along with some Vicks Vaporub on your upper chest to see if you can open up the tubes.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.