Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

. I have been training last 5 weeks.

Customer Question

Hello. I have been training for boxing for the last 5 weeks. 5 days a week i train hard, sparring, doing circuits and running on a daily basis. I rested this last weekend and felt fit as ever end of week 4. This monday i hard sparred and felt fine. However yesterday i started the morning with a 1.5 mile run and 5 minutes into it i had sharp severe pain above my hip, on the right side of my body. It felt like a very bad cramp and was so painful i had to walk. In the afternoon i had a hard spar and was hit on the right side of the body very hard and again the pain came back and was severe. Sharp pain on right side of my body. This morning i did a 4 mile run and on the last mile the sever pain from yesterday came back on the right side of my body and could not push through the pain. Its affecting me and has been painful this afternoon continually. Yet again i was hit in the same spot after the run in the ring and it came back this morning.It wasnt a hard hit but yet again stopped me in my tracks! What is the problem??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Can you give me the exact location of the pain? And where exactly does it hurt when you flex your hip?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Above the hip on right side of abdomen. Sall up the right side of the body.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jack So basically it's not in the hip itself but more in the right lower abdomen and flank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes exactly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for all the questions here Jack. Any tenderness in that area? Any problems with urination?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problems with urination. Only pAin when im training, even light jogging it s painful
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like but I think you probably have been hit with a kidney stone and not with some muscular pull or anything like that. Given the sudden onset and the location of the pain, it's very characteristic of the symptoms of a stone. You need to see your doctor for an exam, urinalysis, and a ct scan of the abdomen. Most stones pass with plenty of fluids and given a few days but they can be very painful until they do pass
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou very much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Jack but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you