Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, I have veneers on upper 10 teeth causing malocclusion

Hi, I have veneers on upper 10 teeth causing malocclusion . Following orthodontics to correct upper right three crossbite the damon system braces were removed 10months ago. I began to get very painful deep jaw ache and a burning sensation which seemed to come from the roof of my mouth at the back inside my jaws. my facial muscles at the sides and under my chin had a strong dragging down feeling, it felt like my glands were swollen or I had mumps but I did not . My ears also were aching inside with a dragging feeling around then. my facial muscles felt dragged forward at the sides and my front teeth have been pulled quite forward. Neck muscles and head pain too. Eating made everything worse as my occlusion does not mesh together properly. I am mainly biting on the front teeth very little contact on the sides or back. Slowly the pain has improved having medicated myself and spent many sleepless nights and days with the on going pain. Now 10months later I can just about manage but things are not right my teeth catch and grate and pinch the sides of my mouth when I chew. I have a lower splint fitted. It does not fit properly on one side and there is no support on the back teeth. im told the aim is to get my condyles in the correct position and find my true bite. I don't understand how this can happen when the veneers are the main problem they are too long and big and stop my bite from meeting properly. The dentist is telling me my bite will adjust in time. Ive had a splint for 3years before orthodontics in the hope my teeth would adjust themselves then orthodontics for the crossbite, now it's been 5years and still no resolve. I am I being unreasonable in thinking I need a second opinion?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

The malocclusion is because of the Veneers, which are ultra-thin shells of ceramic (porcelain) or a composite resin material, which are bonded to the front of teeth.

Dr Uzair :

I don't understand why your dentist wants to readjust your mandibular (lower jaw) to something that can be redone.

Dr Uzair :

It has been 5 years, and at your age adjusting a malocclusion with braces and fixators is not an ideal fix.

Dr Uzair :

Your dentist should consider changing the Veneers.

Dr Uzair :

Because repositioning and bonding the veneers will be an easier solution than to reposition the whole lower jaw.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you seek an opinion with an Orthognathic surgeon, since, it seems your dentist is being of little help.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any queries regarding this. Join the chat and use reply to interact.

Customer:

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I am thinking the same with regard to the veneers. I have seen the orthodontist who did the work and he is of the opinion that some of the veneers may need replacing but for some reason my dentist who referred me for orthodontics is reluctant to remove the veneers as he says there is great risk to tooth tissue. Now he has thrown the idea of my condyles being in wrong position so needs to get me in more comfortable position before he starts adjusting? He doesn't know yet what he is going to do because my teeth will change. I do not understand how a splint can change my condyles?

Dr Uzair :

I think your dentist has no idea what he is up to.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you get the veneers replaced and adjusted to your current occlusion.

Dr Uzair :

The condyles have ossified, you are an adult. If they are to be repositioned (if at all), you will require extensive orthognathic surgery. Fixators and braces will not move your condyles.

Dr Uzair :

And such a doing, will change the whole appearance of your face and jaw line.

Dr Uzair :

Going with replacing the veneers is the best course of action at this point in time.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

Ive noticed my face has already changed shape since the orthodontics and this is something which was not discussed with me. however when I mention it , I get no response from the dentist. Do you think my symptoms with the dragging sensation and pulling I felt with my facial muscles I felt post orthodontics has a relation to how my facial contours and shape are now apprearing?

Customer:

What is orthognathic sugery?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, there is constant pressure on the facial muscles and the temporomandibular joint. This is a rather sensitive area. Occlusion is a very sensitive issue, the slightest of malocclusion can get extremely discomforting for patients, that is why there is a whole specialty (Orthognathic surgery) which deals with these issues. This is a very difficult field of medicine and needs proper planning and careful execution. Besides, my personal opinion, changing the position of the condyles of the mandible will do nothing for your cross bite.

Dr Uzair :

Orthognathic surgery is a specialized field of dentistry that deals with the conditions of the jaw and face related to structure, growth, Sleep apnea, TMJ disorders, malocclusion problems owing to skeletal dis-harmonies, or other orthodontic problems that cannot be easily treated with braces.

Customer:

So the splint therapy will not change the position of the condyles, and orthodontics cannot do this either? It sounds like the orthodontics have been the main cause of my pain. I was not in that type of pain prior to having this treatment it was just the bite which was wrong. What should I be saying to this dentist now, im ready to give up on him even though he says he treats me like a member of his family but I think ive had over treatment from him.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you get a second opinion from another dentist who is willing to redo your Veneers and also ask for a referral to an Orthognathic surgeon who can evaluate your occlusion and tip the dentist on how to best to correct it. A team approach will be the best course of action since that will combine the benefits of both the specialties and decrease the downtime by half by combining two heads to work on you instead of one.

Dr Uzair :

See, if your lower jaw was the culprit an orthodontist could realign it with the upper jaw, but since your veneers on the upper jaw are the problem, which can be easily re done, doing anything to the lower jaw (which is in its normal position) will be an overkill.

Customer:

ok cheers ***** ***** very much your responses have been a great help. I am a little scared to confront this dentist and tell him I want a second opinion because he seems so confident in his approach.. my instinct is telling the opposite and your comments have helped me. I guess I will just have to go away and just get that second opinion.

Dr Uzair :

Best of luck and it was a pleasure to help.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any future concerns as well.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Customer:

Are you uk based?

Dr Uzair :

No, but the next best thing. US.

Dr Uzair :