Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have sufferd with chronic diarrhoea since oct 2014. Ive had

I have sufferd with chronic diarrhoea since oct 2014. Ive had my gall bladder removed in dec 14 because i had acute pancreatitis in july 14. Ive had a colonoscopy recently showing diverticular disease which I knew I had. My GP has prescribed Creon which has no effect. Hes now prescribed a sachet once a day day of another med which I havent collected yet. Ive had no tests for malabsorption , hes just treating me for it. He said if this new med doesnt work then he will up the dose. Im now very tired have very dry lips etc. what is your opion please Denise
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this chronic diarrhea. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
The most common cause of chronic diarrhea are change in diet,colon polyps,excessive physical work,hyperthyroidism,stress, anxiety, nervousness, fear.
Certain medical conditions can also cause loose stools such as:mal absorption syndrome(MAS),irritable bowel syndrome(IBS),crohn's disease,ulcerative collitis.
As you are having chronic diarrhoea since oct 2014 & had colonoscopy showing diverticular disease,it needs to be treated.
The creon prescribed to you is a combination of three enzymes (proteins): lipase, protease, and amylase & helps to promote the digestion but it did not provide you any relief.
If all other causes has been ruled out, then most likely cause of your symptoms is irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).There are other anti diarrhoeal medications.Also you may need to be prescribed with anti depressant medications.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your gastro doctor to so as to confirm the exact underlying cause & then treatment as described above will be done accordingly to treat your chronic diarrhoea.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I havent got any other symtoms of IBS so not happy to take medS for that. I know lots of people with IBS and I dont have any of their symptoms, none of them have the constant diarrhoea, I have it 5 or 6 times a day and quite often ththrough the night. I dont need anti depressants as I dont feel the slightest depressed !!,, Im very happy

Dear Customer,
Thank you for replying back.
Chronic diarrhoea is one of the most common symptoms of IBS.
IBS needs to be ruled out or diagnosed by your doctor only.
Other causes of diarrhoea needs to be considered:change in diet,colon polyps,excessive physical work,hyperthyroidism,stress, anxiety, nervousness, fear.
Also mal absorption syndrome(MAS),irritable bowel syndrome(IBS),crohn's disease,ulcerative collitis are causes that can cause chronic diarrhoea.
You need other tests like: stool examination & culture,endoscopy, video camera,X-rays of the abdomen,barium meal studies & barium follow through(BFT) tests.
Take anti-diarrheal medications, such as loperamide (Imodium) from your counter.
Gastro doctor is the best doctor to address this & confirm the underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert