DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

. past 12 months my eyes have been red, gritty, sore,

Hi. For the past 12 months my eyes have been red, gritty, sore, sticky and painful. They are worse in the evening and especially when sleeping getting to the point that I can't even open them when I wake during the night, I have to force them open with my fingers. When visiting an optician last year she said my eyes looked very dry and suggested certain eye drops and a gel at night. However, these just made them much worse and I ended up using some antibiotic eyes drops which helped to clear the excessive stickiness/redness. I did some research on line and then returned to the optician to ask if she could test my eyes to see what was causing e dryness but she just told me it was a matter of trial and error to find a suitable eye drop. I am now using tear lac which has helped a little and doesn't cause excessive discharge or redness of the skin around my eyelids but they are not much better than when I first started to have problems 12 months ago. Is there anywhere I can get some test done to see what is causing the dryness and if there is something else that could ease the problem as even using the tear lac my eyes are still sore, gritty and painful and I still have to forces them open at night.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Are you allergic
Have allergies been ruled out? How?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do suffer from hayfever and was taking antihistamine tablets every day and hayfever eye drops and using steroid nasal spray but they were not really any use and this all became worse whilst using them. My GP suggested stopping and using a natural sea salt nasal soray which I have used since November and have seen a little improvement so am still using that. I was told years ago that I have a slight allergy to house dust mites but the optician said my eyes were just very dry and no evidence of allergy which I was a little surprised at. I do get a blocked nose during the night and when blocked on the right hand side the right eye is much worse.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Ask your doctor
Use claritin for a week and see if this helps.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was using Claritin for a few years but this all came on worse whilst using it that's why I stopped. Did see GP yesterday and didn't really get any answers have said maybe I could see an ENT consultant now but said nothing relating to eyes (was a different GP to the one I saw last time)
Is it possible to see an Ophthalmologist privately or do you need a referral from a GP?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You can see an opthalmologist privately.
I thought you had seen an opthalmologist.
That is certainly a requirement, to rule out infection, glaucoma, inner eye problems, etc.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I saw an optician when giving my else tested for reading glasses. I mentioned to her what I was experiencing and she said that my eyes looked very dry but she didn't see any sign of allergies. Okay thank you I will look up local opthamologists and see if I can get an appointment although locally they all seem to be attached to NHS hospitals that's why I thought I might need a GP referral.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
Please do not forget a positive rating.