Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

. :-) My anxiety causes nausea and lack of appetite,

Hello. :-)
My anxiety causes nausea and lack of appetite, which can lead to other problems (dizziness, fatigue, weight loss, etc). These symptoms can last days, weeks, sometimes more, even if I no longer feel anxious.
I’ve tired to combat this with yoga, meditation, FODMAP diet, peppermint tea, Pepto-Bismol, etc and am currently undergoing cognitive therapy. I have also been diagnosed with IBS (endoscopies, blood/stool tests, and scans were clear) which doesn’t help.
Why do I stay nauseas for so long after a bout of anxiety despite my efforts, and is this unusual? Also, are you able to recommend any remedies or solutions that could decrease the length and severity of the recovery period as it can be rather draining.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

Your continued nausea is likely due to the acid that is secreted into your stomach, as well as your breathing pattern when you are anxious (which allows more air into the stomach - prolonging the amount of time you are nauseated).
It sounds like you don't need medication to treat your nausea, but rather medications for your anxiety.

Dr. Charogat :

There are some very mild medications, for example labetalol (a blood pressure medication) that you could take before times that you know will be anxiety producing and thereby hopefully not get to the level of nausea that makes you feel ill for so long.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?

Dr. Charogat :

I'd like to give you excellent service, so please let me know what more information you need.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

Thanks for the response. I'm undergoing cognitive therapy and also take Beta Blockers on anxious days so hopefully this will limit my chances of anxiety. Given this current slip-up, do you know of any ways of limiting my nausea, or maybe even getting rid of it, as I've had it since Monday now and I don't feel particularly anxious, just a bit sick? I'm also waking up much earlier than normal.

Customer:

Thanks for the response. I'm undergoing cognitive therapy and also take Beta Blockers on anxious days so hopefully this will limit my chances of anxiety. Given this current slip-up, do you know of any ways of limiting my nausea, or maybe even getting rid of it, as I've had it since Monday now and I don't feel particularly anxious, just a bit sick? I'm also waking up much earlier than normal. Also, do you think I should be taking anxiety medication daily?

Customer:

Apologies. Didn't mean to post that four times.

Dr. Charogat :

No worries :) the computer acts funny sometimes.

Dr. Charogat :

All these days later you should not still be feeling nauseated.

Dr. Charogat :

Have you tried a bland diet?

Dr. Charogat :

You can ask your doctor about trying an acid blocker or proton pump inhibitor as well.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. My nausea has taken a turn for the worse today and now its debilitating and affecting very basic takes, meaning I'm worried about getting to work tomorrow. Is there anything I could do today that might help me feel a little less nauseas in the morning. Yes, I'm already on a bland diet.