Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Will the large majority of bacterial infections clear without

Will the large majority of bacterial infections clear without treatment. In the pre-antibiotic era, what do you think happened to all those people who got strep throat, pneumonia, gonorrhea, impetigo, and urinary tract infections when no antibiotics were available?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

In the prebiotic era many people who suffered from infections used to succumb to them and die, or were left with morbid complications severely impairing their quality of life.

Dr Uzair :

Pneumonia would cause respiratory failure, abscess and fibrosis impairing the respiratory tract,

Dr Uzair :

Strept throats would lead to scarlet fever, which would cause heart failure and eventually death.

Dr Uzair :

It would depend on the type of infection, severity, immunity of the individual infected etc.

Dr Uzair :

Nowadays, the bacteria are even more resistant because they are used to fighting off broad spectrum antibiotics and in today's world infections are more lethal than they used to be. Fighting off an infection without antibiotics is inviting trouble, most of the times countering these infections without newer broad spectrum antibiotics is very difficult as well since the bacteria mutate and evolve in to resistant strains every day.

Customer:

Would you concur that natural clearance by the immune system is the norm for the large majority of bacterial infections. There are exceptions -- syphilis and TB, to name two very important ones. But aside from syphilis, all bacterial STDs are naturally eradicated.

Dr Uzair :

While antibiotics have helped increase survival, it is actually also the invention of other medical techniques that have augmented this.

Dr Uzair :

Fighting off any infection - syphilis or STDs without antibiotics will cause a lot of morbidity, more time spent in the bed, in isolation, away from work, might leave some lesions unhealed, scars etc. which is actually more morbid than the actual disease itself.

Dr Uzair :

So, while the immune system will actually clear the original infection, it will give rise to an array of other conditions (complications) that would require more energy and fight from an already drained immune system.

Dr Uzair :

Which will eventually, lead to the patient dying or left severely scarred. I wouldn't call that clearance.

Customer:

What about bacterial STD's (in males) such as Non-specific urethritis (NSU), Chlamydia and Gonorrhea?

Dr Uzair :

Like I said, there is a minute chance that the original infection might clear up.

Dr Uzair :

But, the course of clearance will be prolonged and there's a huge possibility that it causes complications, sepsis, hospitalization, death.

Dr Uzair :

So, a course of antibiotics is a better way of clearing these infections specially because nowadays the strains of bacteria that cause these infections are very resistant and extremely dangerous if left to the immune system.

Dr Uzair :

Our immune systems are not as strong as they used to be since we have been using antibiotics and living clean.

Dr Uzair :

In brief, the bacteria are getting stronger, and our immunity - weaker.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

So in your opinion bacterial infections (in males) such as Non-specific urethritis (NSU), Chlamydia and Gonorrhea would not be naturally eradicated by the immune system?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, that is correct, they will not be eradicated by the immune system nowadays.

Customer:

But in the pre antibiotic era these infections would naturally be eradicated?

Dr Uzair :

No, not all of them, most of them would kill the patient. That is why invention of penicillin was such a big break through.

Dr Uzair :

Infections like strept throat, syphilis, pnuemonia, that are considered curable today were life takers back then.

Customer:

Ok, but what about STD's such as Non-specific urethritis (NSU), Chlamydia and Gonorrhea?

Dr Uzair :

Any infection in the pre antibiotic era had a grim chance of clearing up. Non specific urethritis, chlamydia and gonorrhea included.

Customer:

Ok so would you concur or disagree with the below statement from H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D

Customer:

"The large majority of bacterial infections clear without treatment. In the pre-antibiotic era, what do you think happened to all those people who got strep throat, pneumonia, gonorrhea, impetigo, and urinary tract infections when no antibiotics were available? They were cleared by the immune system.

Of course this doesn't mean these infections don't need treatment. Although 90% of people recovered from bacterial pneumonia, 10% died; and there's a big difference between being ill for a week versus 6 weeks. Antibiotic treatment also prevents complications that were far more common before the 1940s.

Anyway, natural clearance by the immune system is the norm for the large majority of bacterial infections. There are exceptions -- syphilis and TB, to name two very important ones. But aside from syphilis, all bacterial STDs are naturally eradicated."

Dr Uzair :

Partly agree with this. But the part where statistics are given, well, in the 19th and the 20th century, reporting infections and cases of STDs was not as efficient so as to conclude who got better from a particular infection and who died, back then, identification of one bacteria from another was also difficult, so chlamydia, gonorrhea etc couldn't be specified.

Dr Uzair :

And in the above statement, he only talks about Pneumonia as being cleared up without antibiotics.

Dr Uzair :

"and there's a big difference between being ill for a week versus 6 weeks."

Dr Uzair :

So, that is what I said, and during those 6 weeks while the immune system is fighting off the original infection, the body goes through a lot of irreparable damage.

Customer:

Ok so on a final note. In your opinion STI's such as Non-specific urethritis (NSU), Chlamydia and Gonorrhea specifically would not be naturally cleared/eradicated by an healthy immune system in Males over a pro-longed period (5 years+)?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer:

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.